❦ chapter nine ❦

Diff decided to call Flossy early Saturday morning; early, as in, just after nine - almost ten - when she was deep in her sleep dreaming of boys with dark hair and dark eyes. her voice was ugly, in her opinion, and she was so tired that she couldn't even hold the conversation but she listened. he talked to her in a way she hadn't heard in a while, in a way that made her forget about every wrong thing he'd ever done and focus on his animated voice.

they talked for a long time. it was like they hadn't seen each other in years and decided that today they'd get caught up on everything in each other's lives. laughs were shared and sometimes their words got deep and serious, whispering secrets they've kept from each other for a while.

"that Calum boy - you know, who's always around you - he's insanely jealous of me." and he said it in a dismissive way, as if it was not news or everyone knew about it. Flossy knew he was just saying it to get under her skin and usually she wouldn't give him the satisfaction, but Calum was always a touchy subject for her. Diff knew this, and he would always instigate arguments with her over him.

"you're just being egotistical," Flossy replied in disbelief. what would Calum have to be jealous of Diff? Calum was both looks and brains, but Diff couldn't even remember the difference between a simile and a metaphor.

"I see the way he looks at us when we're together," Diff carried on, his tone getting more excited and filled with an edge of laughter. "it eats away at him that it's me you're doing and not him."

"I don't want to talk about this anymore." she shook her head and got up from her bed and started to  pace around the room. it wasn't because she was anxious or nervous. she was doing anything she could to get him off her mind off of the conversation so she wouldn't explode on her boyfriend, who she just repaired everything with.

"why? does it make you uncomfortable that he loves you?"

"he doesn't!" she immediately screamed back at him over the phone. she didn't care that she was probably waking up her family. she opened the bottle and all the harsh chemicals she'd been holding back unleashed all over him. "he's the best thing that's happened to me in a while and I'm not going to stand here and let you walk all over him and talk about him like he's less than you! he's so much more than you, and you know that! you act like it's not a big deal, but you wouldn't have mentioned it if that was the case.  it eats away at you how much I'd rather be with him than you, and that's worse than being accused of being jealous over something that is all just an performance anyway."

what was worse than actually coming out and saying it was how much better it felt to just yell at him. usually he always yelled at her, but the tides changed and now it was her being the dominant power in their relationship.

"why won't you admit that we're just not working together anymore?"

"because we do!" he hollered back, nearly breaking her eardrums. "we love each other and no one can treat us better than each other."

"I'm sorry, but if you think that, you have to be delusional." and with that, she hung up on him. Flossy didn't care that they were on the verge of talking on the phone for five hours. she just couldn't handle another second hearing his voice or being connected to him for that time being.

she hadn't realized until then that she was alone in the big and lonely house. she took however much time she wanted to in order to get ready for the dreaded gathering later that evening. once she donned in a hoodie and sweats two sizes too big, she longed for the company of someone in particular.