❦ chapter three ❦

there was no sound between the two teenagers. Calum had been surveying the area as they walked away from the school and Flossy had been surveying him. she asked so many questions about him in her mind, though she knew they would go unanswered. he was such a mystery to him and she wanted to find out every detail she could of the case before her.

he had looked at her in the corner of his eye, then proceeded to look over at her through his glasses. she was not one to look away in shame, so she didn't. she wasn't embarrassed because he caught her looking at him. if anything, she wanted him to know that she had been.

his eyebrows turned down in a confused manner. "why are you looking at me like that?" he asked her the one thing she knew he would. it was apparent that the alcohol he had consumed still made him stutterless so she valued every second she could with it not existing in his speech.

"because you intrigue me," she replied easily, still not looking away from him as they both walked together. they had been having a staring contest, even if the other person didn't know. Calum lost when he looked away from her. she hadn't felt abashed from her words but it appeared that Calum had been.

she decided to go into a different direction with their conversation as she stated, "I don't think we know a lot about each other."

he was looking everywhere but her as he said, "I know a lot about you."

his words took her breath away. she turned to look at him, not knowing what to say or do after his confession. she went the usual direction she did as she smirked at him and asked him in an alluring, teasing tone what he thought he knew about her.

"you're not as one dimensional as you think you are," Calum told her, turning to look at her as they reached the entrance to the school parking lot. wordlessly, they decided to take a break from their walk.

"how so?"

"you say you're bad at biology - or every science for that matter - but I've seen what you've written. you know what you're doing in that class but you don't make it known to everyone else because it would wreck your image. the same goes for your music; you think that no one notices your allusions to lyrics to pop songs in English, but I do. you won't admit it but you have a closeted love for pop music. you're blunt because you've dealt with liars in the past and you hate people like that. instead of being cruel, you think that people deserve the same curtsy. you're cold because you keep walls up so high no one can climb them. you push everyone away except for people who don't even know the real you.

"you're that part of the moon that no one talks about, the darker side," Calum continued. "not because you're always in a dark mood but because there's this bright personality that lights up the world and everyone admires about you but it's just the sun shining on you, not how you really are."

"and what about you?" Flossy said suddenly, whirling on him so suddenly that he almost felt whiplash. "you're so quiet on the outside, socially awkward, dorky and yet you won the hearts of all of the people who I couldn't even win the hearts of that quickly."

"not all of them," he muttered, looking down at his shoes. if you were to see his actions without listening to how he said that sentence, you'd think that he was upset about that fact. he wasn't. his words were almost arrogant in the tone he had used.

Flossy so desperately wanted to add that his opinion didn't matter to her. she wanted to let Calum know that if everyone else approved, then he was inducted into their little family. Diff never liked any of Flossy's other male friends - whether they were straight or not - so whether he liked Calum as much as he liked Cricket didn't mean a single thing to her.