❦ chapter twelve ❦

everything felt so much different at school in that moment; not in the figurative way but in the literal. Flossy's usual supercilious march to her locker felt more like a drunken stagger when all of those eyes were locked in target on her. it's not that she wasn't used to this, it was just the cherry on top of all of the tragedies occurring in her life this week alone.

she kept her eyes trained on things yards away, not daring to look at anyone who was pointing and whispering insults to their friends, like she always did. as she ascended further and further down the hallway, their voices seemed to get louder and more animated the words being whispered about her didn't hurt, they never did, but the fact that everyone who was talking about her believed that Flossy cared enough to let them get to her, was a nuisance to her.

she started to hear distinct conversations and it made her pulse quicken in anger. she heard girls who preached female empowerment on their tumblr blogs degrade her and call her words that they preached were immoral to females. he heard the guys begin to rate her based on her looks instead of who she really was. she could barely even hear the bell ring over their obnoxious clamor that ceased as she moved into the middle of the hallway and angrily stared back at everyone looking at her.

she should have said something then. she should have screamed back at how hypocritical everyone was and that this was not the life our ancestors imagined for us. she should have said something that made everyone talk about her even more, in a brighter or dimmer light. she should have done something to give everyone a lasting impression of how done she was with their shit.

but Flossy was smarter than that. they wanted something to talk about which was exactly why she kept her mouth shut. they wanted a piece of meat to tear apart with their words, breaking down the proteins with their opinions and she was not going to be a helpless dear then. she didn't turn the other cheek, no. she would get back at almost all of them when they least expected it. she didn't feed into their ego like they so desperately wanted her to. instead she waltzed to class, remembering that she and Calum would work together for that period, laughing and teasing each other like they always did but this time with more of a twist.

she thought it would have gone away by now, she really did. it made her think that somehow everyone had found out about what they did two nights before, considering the insults given to her displayed as much. at least two groups of people talked about her in each of her classes, not being discreet as well. she was the new school celebrity for reasons she couldn't even try to guess, and god it was exhausting. she wasn't scared of what they would say but she hated walking on eggshells with every single one of her movements under a microscope with her piers.

it was the worst in the cafeteria. though she didn't have the impeccable hearing like Matt Murdock, she could feel their eyes on her with every sip she took of her water and laugh at every joke that Calum made. she wouldn't dare look directly at the monsters around her but she subtly would drop something and do a quick 180 around and notice just how much. Calum could feel that she was uneasy much quicker than she thought he did.

he caught her arm as she went down to pick something else up that she dropped. "what's going on?" he inquired with those big, determined, and concerned puppy dog eyes she loved on him. the fact that he didn't ask if she was alright was more reassuring than not. he knew that she wasn't okay and he wasn't going to ask just to get a bullshit response.

"they keep talking about me," Flossy confessed in an attempt to sound annoyed but came out more distressed than she thought. "they just keep staring and talking and laughing and I don't know why."