❦ chapter two ❦

biology went by quicker than he had thought. it consisted of various goofy smiles from Flossy where she sat across the room to which he subtly smiled at. under her gaze, he subconsciously fixed his hair a few times and adjusted his glasses but he hoped she never noticed. he didn't care about what anyone else thought about how he acted around her except for her.

Calum was halfway to his bus when he felt someone tug his hand and bring it to their body. his heart thudded quicker as an automatic response to someone touching him, especially when he couldn't see the person's face but he realized that if someone was going to attack him then they definitely wouldn't go for his hand first. he felt the warm breath on his neck and the smell of coconut and immediately relaxed.

"gotta try a little harder to get away from this lioness," Flossy whispered huskily into his ear. he tried to hide the smile begging to be unleashed onto his face at the close proximity between the two. she wasn't scared of affection or rejection and that was a quality he admired in her.

she tugged him back into the school and broke out into a run as soon as she entered. he stopped walking then, just stood, and watched her as she descended down the empty hallway. she was a ball of fire and he was a stream of water.

"come on slow poke!" she bellowed from the end of the hallway. even from here, Calum could see the bright smile on her face she got from being this energetic. "I have something to show you."

without much more coaxing, he started to jog down the hallway to meet her where she stood. when he caught up, she looked up at him with slightly wide brown eyes then shook her head and mumbled that he'd make the track team in a heartbeat with how fast he could actually run. without looking at him, she grabbed his hand as they ran down the hallway like they were children running from the imaginary monsters.

"m-my god," he whispered to himself, stopping in his tracks as he looked at the graffiti on the walls of the school hallway. "how has n-no one seen this and - taken it down?"

"no one comes down here," Flossy said easily, looking fondly at the illegal art on the surface. "it's between the basement and the next level so not a soul has seen it."

"i-it's so -"

"bewitching," she finished for Calum. he looked at her quizzically. she turned and met his gaze. "oh, come on. doesn't looking at this make you want to do unspeakable things to get away with it?"

Calum was never one to get in trouble. even as a child, he was always quiet and didn't do anything to anger his mother because he thought she'd never love him if he did. as he got older, it never changed. he was always in line for fear that if he didn't follow the rules no one would trust him or love him. it changed earlier when Flossy first said a word to him. she was enigmatic, a spell caster, a force, the lightning in a hail storm.

something about Flossy made him want to set fire to that persona and be any image she wanted him to be. she was the nightmare he searched for in the crowd until it clawed its way out of his mouth during the night. she was the sky in every way he could string words together to describe a person.

she seized his arm and brought him closer to her. he looked into her alight eyes with frantic ones as she said, "so let's go cause some trouble without getting caught." without another thought or hesitation, she tugged him out the doors they stood in front of to see a bunch of misfits lounging under the canopy and on the edge of the sidewalk. a vulgar scent immediately breathed through Calum's nostrils so quick he almost started coughing from its volume.