Butting heads.

Jon POV;

The flight was taking too long. My gaze out the window had been a constant for about two hours, Nicole laying asleep on my shoulder. There was a sigh coming from the pocket of my lips. I knew she was still upset, she was just doing that thing where she acted like she was okay because I swallowed my pride and apologized. No matter what I did, she just forgave me. I guess that's what being in love meant, I just wish she'd let me in a little more sometimes. Another sigh. Why did I have to be such a hothead?

(Flashback to yesterday.)

It was Tuesday, and we were at Smackdown. I stumbled into the arena, having just left the hotel bar. I wouldn't dare utter the words aloud, but my body was aching. The attack Nicole and I suffered was leaving a mark on me and I hated it. A hiss emitting from rugged lips, hands attempted to 'fix' the disheveled curls falling over my eyes. My head was pounding ever so slightly, a soft ringing in my ears as I heard the sound of heels clicking against the concrete arena floor. "Jon, finally! Where have you been?!" It was Nicole, and by the tone in her voice; she was annoyed. "Hey baby, I just got in from the hotel." She didn't look pleased, features holding an expression of irritation. "Just now? You were supposed to leave three hours ago! What happened..?" By the tail end of her sentence, she sounded concerned rather than annoyed. Wouldn't last, however. "I.. I stopped and had a few drinks." The alcohol addiction hadn't been an issue in over a year, but, with recent events why not? "Jonathan.. Are you kidding me right now?" There was the annoyed tone he grew to hate and love at the same time. "We have a segment to do tonight, and you're drunk!" Her voice hushed, a humorless laugh leaving my lips now. "C'mooon, baby, it'll be fiine. I'm used to this shit, remember?" Nicole rolled her eyes now, a sigh of her own being emitted. "It's been over a year, Jon. An entire year, without booze. Why now? Tell me." He scoffed, shaking his head a little from side to side. "The fuck do you mean why? Have you been paying attention to our lives lately? They're kinda off the deep end." There was a tiny stumble, but I kept my balance. But she, oh boy, she was pissed. "I swear to god, I cannot fucking believe you right now. Yeah, they've been kinda shitty but have you forgotten we're getting a push? Together? Does that mean nothing to you?" With her hands on her hips, I knew I was in shit. "Yeah, Nicole. I know. Fuck, I just needed to loosen up okay? Get off my ass." I snapped, raspy voice just a little thicker due to the intoxication. But the moment her jaw dropped, I knew it was rock bottom, or so I thought. "You better start guzzling water, and I mean right now. I'm not dealing with this shit, Jon. I'm not." With that, she did something she hadn't done in a very long time. She walked away from me.

(Catering, 20 minutes later.)

I still did what she asked, without the guzzling part. I had two bottles of water and was on my third now, working on that. I had found myself in catering now, hungry, beginning to sober up and cranky as all hell. I was at the table just minding my business when I saw a few guys walk past me, grumble and talk lowly amongst themselves. The memories of this all too familiar inside this brain. I kept my mouth shut, chewing on a roll before I saw him walk by. That smug son of a bitch. He was just staring at me, cocky little grin on his lips. "The fuck you looking at, Cena?" I muttered, the usual give zero fucks attitude still being amplified by the remnants of alcohol in my system. "Excuse me?" He spoke up, raising a brow. I was shocked he even had the balls to answer. "You fuckin' heard me, what do you want?" He just kept smiling. I could feel my blood begin to boil at the sight. "Nothing, Ambrose. I'm not looking at anything. Well, nothing worth mentioning. Tell me, where is that trashy little fiancée of yours, huh? She find another man to cling to?" That was it. I stood up and got right in his face, expression shifting from annoyed to pissed off in little to no time at all. "You keep Nicole's name out of your mouth, keep her out of your thoughts, everything. You understand me?" I could feel his breath hitting my face, I was that close. The fucker just kept smiling. "I wouldn't threaten me, Ambrose. I might just jump you in the parking lot.. again." That did it, he knew exactly what he was doing and the memory of that night came flooding back. I saw Cena hit Nicole, but everything was repressed. So I snapped now, punching him square in the jaw, knocking him on his ass. "You son of a bitch, how dare you!" Shot after shot landed against his thick skull, profanities being mumbled before a couple big and burly guys came and pulled me off. "Let go of me.. Put me down! Let me at the son of a bitch!" There was a lot of struggling until I saw her face; stunned and staring at me. Everything stopped, and realized that it wasn't Cena I was pummeling on. The first shot, sure. Landed against that ugly mug, but after that? He must've got away, 'cause on the ground busted open was Neville. My whole body froze, Cena nowhere in sight. Nicole looked disappointed in me, and I felt ashamed. "Dude, I'm.. I thought.." I sucked at apologies. Corano pulled Nicole aside and talked to her as the men simply held me, afraid I'd bust free and attack someone again or somethin'. After a few minutes she'd left and came back with both her things and mine. The men put me back on the ground, and she grabbed my wrist and began walking towards the arena's exit. "Nic' where are we going? You said we have a segment and the show starts in half an-.." She cut me off, angry and cold. "We don't anymore. We're leaving." I was confused. "Nicole we can't just leave.." She turned to me, expression fueled by pure anger. "They cancelled our fucking seg and demanded I take you back to the hotel. Is that all?" I was shocked, I didn't think.. wow. I kept my mouth shut and she released my hand. I knew she didn't want to touch me, she didn't even look at me.

(At the hotel.)

Not a word was spoken since we exited the arena. Packing the car, the drive, the elevator ride, nothing. Not one word. I deserved it, I knew I did. But I knew John was there. How he disappeared so fast.. ugh. Now we were in our room, and Nicole was in the shower. I just sat on the edge of the bed and waited, hoping she wouldn't be long. She wasn't, I knew she'd showered before she left. Least I thought so. She walked out of the bathroom, and I finally broke the tension. "Baby please, let me explain-.." Again, cut off. "Don't fucking talk to me." I sighed again, wanting to make it all go away. "Nicole, John was there. I th-.." "You thought what, Jon? He wasn't there, he was nowhere in sight. It was Neville. Innocent little Adrian a victim to your drunken rage. God, how could you be so stupid?" She was still fuming, I guess rightfully so. "I'm telling you Nicole, he was there. That first punch, it was him. I know it was!" I raised my voice now, getting frustrated. "No, no. You don't get to raise your voice at me, Good. Not this time. You fucked up. You did. Not me, not John, you. What if they pull your push? What if they pull my push, huh? Did you even think of that?!" I opened my lips to speak, but she took the moment for herself. "I cannot believe you'd do something like this. I just can't. Don't look at me, don't talk to me. Nothing. I just.. I don't want anything to do with you right now." I lowered my head when she looked away. I knew she was right, what if it wasn't Cena at all.. This was stupid. Before I could tell her to keep the bed, she had a few pillows, a blanket and a sheet on the floor. She'd gotten PJs on in the bathroom, hair up in a bun. My eyes grazed over her back, seeing the remaining scars there. I sighed deeply, I had to prove it somehow. I did this for her..

(End of flashback.)

You'd never have been able to tell she was at my throat just last night by the way she was snuggled into my arm. She looked so peaceful and beautiful when she slept, he often just watched her on the many nights he couldn't get that same sleep. He'd apologized to her a million times when they both woke up, each earning a sigh and an "I forgive you, Jon." But I knew deep down, she was hurting that I could put us both as risk like that. So recklessly and without reason.. so she thought. Then again, I wasn't too sure what I thought either. The pilot came over the speaker; "Fasten your seatbelts, ladies and gentlemen. We're about to land." I felt so relieved, finally we could just go home. I leaned down, planting a soft kiss upon the skin of her forehead. Whispering ever so softly; "Baby, we're landing. Gotta wake up." Nicole stirred, eyelids fluttering open to reveal those chocolate brown hues I loved so much. -- After we landed, and the car was reached and packed, I took her by the hand. "Nicole.. I really am sorry. I shouldn't have been so irresponsible. We're getting married in two months.. I have to think of our future and not just react on raw emotions and my impulses. I love you, always." She just smiled, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. "And I love you, always."