thirty-five

Like I said before, life gives you the unexpected. And again, like I said before, people always leave, but maybe they come back.

"Reese," Camila called out. "Can I talk to you?"

Reese and Quinn paused. Reese motioned for Quinn to go on, then walked back to Camila.

"You have a lot of explaining to do," Reese stated. "But you're not gonna explain it to me. You're gonna explain it to Y/N."

Camila sighed, running a hand through her hair, "Okay. I understand you're upset. But don't tell Y/N I'm here. Not yet, at least."

"Why not?" she scoffed.

"Because I need to figure out what I'm going to say to her," Camila sighed again. "Please, Reese."

"You have until Friday," Reese said, walking out.

"But today is Thursday," Camila mumbled to herself.

Dinah entered the apartment, sighing as she took her shoes off. She closed the door behind her and walked into the kitchen, where she saw her fiancée making herself some coffee.

"You left early this morning," she yawned.

"Yeah," Dinah muttered. "Sorry. I had to go see an old friend."

Dinah wrapped her arms around her, her fiancée leaning into Dinah.

"Was it Normani?"

"Yeah," Dinah mumbled. "I just, I don't know, Daya."

Zendaya turned around, facing Dinah. She sat the coffee cup down and wrapped her arms around Dinah's neck.

"That's okay," Zendaya softly said, her thumb rubbing the back of Dinah's neck. "It's okay not to know. But I love you."

Dinah smiled, calming down, "I love you too."

I had invited Vero and Ethan over, wanting to get to know Vero more and spend some time with Ethan. Believe it or not, the kid is fun to hang out with. And I don't know, sometimes it's reassuring to see a kid with a good parent.

It was Friday, and Ethan was sound asleep on the couch. He was worn out from playing hide and seek.

"Want something to drink?" I asked, opening the fridge. "I have water, milk, and alcohol."

Vero softly laughed, "I'll have some water, please," I smiled and nodded, handing her the bottle of water and then closing the fridge. "So, I haven't said it yet, but I'm secretly a big fan of yours."

"Really?" I chuckled, leaning against the counter. "You read the book?"

"Yeah," Vero blushed, glancing down. "I love how you based it off your own love story, but added some twists to it."

I hummed, the twist to the book was based off true events, but nobody knows that except for Lauren, Camila, and Reese.

"Are Camila and Y/N still a thing?" Vero asked after a moment.

"Not that I know of," I quietly chuckled. "Anyway, what do you do for a living?"

"I am an assistant for my boss," she said. "That's why I'm so busy. I fetch things and do things for her."

"Whose your boss?" I asked, pushing off of the counter and sitting across from Vero.

"Well," she started. "I work for a company, and my boss is Lucy Vives. You know, the photography place."

"Yeah, yeah," I nodded. "They take excellent photo's, by the way."

"Yeah," Vero smiled. "I know."

Before I could respond, there was a knock at my door. I raised an eyebrow, "Sorry, I'm not expecting anyone."

Vero simply smiled at me, telling me it's fine. I passed the couch to see Ethan not there, and I furrowed my eyebrows, glancing at the door and seeing him open it.

"Ethan!" I sighed, walking over to him. I opened the door all the way, Ethan in front of me.

As I saw who it was, I felt my heart drop. My hand was still on the door, my other hand on Ethan's shoulder. She glanced down at Ethan, then me, with a shocked expression.

"Camila," I stated, inhaling sharply.

"H-Hey,"

Ally typed away on her computer, but stopped when there was a knock at her office door.

"Come in!" she called out, the door opening. "Mani!"

"Hey Als," Normani smiled, shutting the door behind her. "Y/N told me you were a detective."

Ally laughed and stood up, "Y/N is right. How've you been?"

"I've been..okay," Normani sighed, returning the hug to Ally. "I'm a dance teacher now. Oh - I also saw Dinah."

"Really?" Ally quirked an eyebrow, sitting down behind her desk. "When?"

"This morning and yesterday," Normani explained, sitting down. "She's engaged."

Ally's eyes widened, and she leaned her elbows on her desk, "What? To who?"

Normani shrugged, glancing down at the desk as her fingers repeatedly tapped on it, "Don't know. But I feel so - angry and upset. Like I could break down and cry at any moment."

Ally frowned, putting her hand over Normani's, "It's gonna be okay. I'm right here, okay?"

"Okay,"

Four Years Ago, California

Camila and I held hands, walking on the beach. We had just got done eating at some fancy restaurant. I wanted to do something special for her, and I'm pretty nervous. The sun was just setting, the sky pink and orange. Waves crashed down onto the sand, covering our feet up. We held our shoes in our free hands.

"Mila," I paused, taking a deep breath. "I have to ask you something."

We stopped walking so she could turn to me, a small smile on her lips, "Yeah?"

I put my shoes down, rubbing my palms on my jeans. Camila looked at me oddly.

"I know - I know," I stammered, regaining myself. "I know we've only been dating for about two or three years now, but I love you to the moon and back," she smiled, but still looked confused. "And you make me smile and laugh everyday. You know, I thought I would never have this. I would never have you. Someone so special in my life that could take the bad away, to take the pain away," I got on one knee, and her eyes widened. "And I want that forever, for the rest of my life. I want you forever. So, Karla Camila Cabello," I pulled out blue velvet box out. "Will you marry me?"

I opened the box, revealing a diamond ring. Camila stared down at me, wide eyed. I bit my lip, waiting for her answer.

"I-I'm sorry," she whispered, slowly backing away. "I-I can't."

"Camila!" I shouted, getting up. She was running down the beach, shoes still in hand.

I stared down at the ring, closing the box. I threw it, but then immediately regretted it. I picked up my shoes and walked over to it, picking it up as my heart broke.

•••

not edited

-Gracie