Chapter 8

The woman across from me was still smiling kindly at me, while I was still shocked this was his mother? She only looked to be thirty. I opened my mouth to speak but closed it once again, I didn't know what to say to her.

I could see that Jason got his green eyes from his mother but where as he has dark hair his mother looks to be more of a strawberry blonde.  I thought If I were to meet the former queen she would be old, on the stuck up side  and mean, but this lady looked like she didn't have a mean bone in her body. 

"Yes I'm Ella Marie, your highness," Finally I found my voice I answered her,  "sorry for my late response, I was just a little shocked." I add, look away from her to Jason to see him eating his eggs and sausage while reading some papers, not even acknowledging that his mother was speaking to me.

"Oh dear, that's fine! You must be shocked by all of this, after all no one expected Jay to pick his chosen, it's a life changing experience."  she laughed lightly before speaking, when using his nick name she looked to him seeing if that would grab his attention, but his eyes stay focus on the paperwork he had with him.

"I can't believe you're down here for breakfast, I thought surly you would want some rest. After this big adjustment" she sent a silent glare to her son at this before turning to me once again. "You can call me Adeline, after all you are now my sons chosen, our new queen. Finally I can have some peace of mind." She giggled. I sent a smile her way before looking down and popping a piece of pancake into my mouth.

" thank you for being so kind to me, Adeline." I say showing her respect,  I can't imagine if the way the females are treated now was underrated then I couldn't fathom how they must of been treated when she was chosen.  She needs a lot to deal with all that, I can barely handle how it is now.

"Ella. I have a meeting today with one of the elders, after that I will show you around then tonight we will introduce you as my chosen and the future queen. The end of the month will be your coronation day, when you will become queen." Jason's voice broke Adeline and mine conversation, looking over at him my eyes land on his waist of his black suit pants before follow his body up to his face. He was so much taller than me when he was standing.  Giving him a slight nod he walked off taking his papers with him. 

"Sorry about Jay, he's still getting used to the idea he has a chosen now. He loves this kingdom so putting off having a chosen worked well for him but now that he has the full support of his people they want a queen. So of course this year he sent someone into the ceremony to find a good match."

"He wanted someone who would support his kingdom, be strong enough to handle the duties and someone who would care about the people genuinely. I can tell that Ara was right when choosing you and I think my son must agree greatly seeing as he didn't even hear who the others on her list were." She smiled wide at me with a knowing look. 

Looking back down at my plate I wanted to look away from her, "Ara tells me that you didn't want to be chosen by the king much less anyone else, why is that? Don't you want someone to share your life with?" Adeline's voice was soft as as she once again grabbed my attention.

"I'm sorry if it came off as if I don't want to be with your son, it's just I didn't want to be chosen by anyone so I could be free still." My reply was quick and just above a whisper, but Adeline heard it loud and clear.

"Oh hon, you'll still have freedom"

"Yes. But I wanted the freedom to chose who I would have just as equally as they do, I wanted not to be chosen so I wouldn't be controlled." Adeline let out a quiet laugh.