Jagged Sunrise

LAUREN

I woke up cuddled next to Alex, the sunrise lighting up the room from the large window. Because of the skyscrapers, the sun's light was blocked and ended with a jagged line. It was yellow and warm. My eyes slowly opened, and I realized where I was, snuggling back into Alex.

It seemed to wake him up, because he looked around and yawned, smiling when he saw my groggy face. "Good morning," his voice was thick with sleep. I nodded.

"Morning," I whispered. His arm that was resting on me lifted up to stretch, and then he pulled his legs out from where they had been resting, stretching them as well. The television was still on, silent static dominating the screen. I stretched out too, lifting my arms to the ceiling. "Let's not get up for a little bit."

He didn't offer a response, but rested his arm around my shoulders again. I sighed. Then my phone buzzed. I reached for in on the couch next to me, and opened it, blinking slowly so my eyes would adjust to the brightness. Alex just closed his, humming softly to himself one of his songs.

Alyssa: Where did you go last night? Miles and I played 20 questions. ;)

Me: Please don't tell me you actually have a real thing for him.

Alyssa: Why did you break up with him in the first place? It turns out he's super rich! Jackpot!

Me: His parents are, and they pay his taxes. That's why I broke up with him.

Alyssa: Anyway, are you coming back?

I groaned, throwing my phone down, hiding in Alex. He smelled like a really nice, red candle. Alex picked up my phone and read through the texts. "I'm rich too you know," he muttered.

I chuckled, "What is it, a competition?"

"If it is, I'm winning, that's all I'm saying."

We huddled together for a little while longer, the warmth of our bodies under the blanket keeping us comfortable. I sighed in content. Alex spoke softly, stroking my hair.

"I want to hear you sing."

My face turned volcanic, and I shook my head. "No, no you don't."

Alex pushed me away playfully. "Yes I do! You said you love to sing! I want to love what you love." He winked. I played with the golden ring around my finger.

"What would I even sing?" I tilted my head. Alex sat up, excited.

"Anything you like," he encouraged. I sat up, sitting opposite of him on the couch. My head rushing, but no songs running through it. After a couple moments of awkward silence, he finally suggested a song. "How about Be There For Me? I remember you saying that's the first song you heard of ours."

I bit my lip. "That's kind of a personal song, Alex."

He reached out to touch my shoulder. "When it's personal, it sounds real."

I nodded, agreeing and closing my eyes. Taking a breath to gain my courage. I was about to sing for a member of my favorite band.

"Don't ever tell me that you're gone.
'Cause I can't stand being on my own.

I was always there for you--
So please now be there for me too.

Don't ever say you miss the road
'Cause I can't stand being all alone.

I was always there for you--
So please now be there for me too."

I opened my eyes, and squinted at Alex, hoping for a positive response.

His diamond eyes glistened and he had a big grin spread wide across his face. "That was beautiful," he chuckled, his voice hoarse and raspy. I rubbed the back of my neck and looked away.

"Really?"

"Yeah," he reassured. "It was amazing."

My phone buzzed, and a sighed, giddy from his compliments. "I should probably go," I mumbled, checking to see that Alyssa had texted me, yet again.

"Aw, man. I wanted to listen to you more," he groaned. I smiled.

"I'll see you later." He kissed me one more time really fast before I grabbed my bag, and phone and quickly walked out of the lounge to the elevator, and down to the reality that did not exist in the lofty lounge with the jagged sunrise.

<====><====>

I stepped out of the lecture room shrugging my backpack onto my shoulders, and there stood Jordan, yet again.

Smiling, I walked up to him. "Hey, man!"

"Hey, so I was wondering if you were over jerk-face yet."

I sighed tiredly and shook my head, smiling. "You're persistent, aren't you." He chuckled. "I'm sorry Jordan, like I said before, I'm just not really in the place for a relationship right now." His eyes lowered in disappointment, but curiosity.

"Oh."

"And it's not you, Jordan. You're such a cool guy, but I just am not over Alex yet." I lied. He tilted his head, looking at me strangely.

"You hold quite a grudge, you only went on three dates."

"Well, I had had a crush on him for a really long time, I was just really hard to know that he had hurt me like that."

"You don't seem to shaken up?" He gave me a questioning look. The smile was immediately erased from my face.

"I just need some time," I lied. He nodded sarcastically.

"I get it, I get it.." He hung his head and plunked away. I didn't try to call after him, but instead watched him walk away.

I took the steps down to the sidewalk two at a time and called a taxi, climbing in and heading off to my dorm hall. Guilt and regret showering my thoughts. It wasn't like Jordan wasn't a nice guy, he just had bad timing. Really, really bad timing.

After a minute, I remembered that Miles was at my dorm with Alyssa, and quickly told the taxi driver to go the opposite direction, and drop me off at a bagel shop on Broadway instead. Maybe I'd go and see a show, anything to procrastinate heading back to my dorm and hanging out with Alyssa while she made eyes at the sleazy leech rooming with us.