Gramercy Tavern

ALEX

"So, who's ready for this tavern place?" Noah began. He sat in a slightly sprawled position, his arms stretched out from his sides. 

The limo bumped slowly along the boulevard. Outside, people whirred by as they trotted on the sidewalks. Bright neon signs from the buildings beside them illuminated their faces. 

"I'm definitely ready," Jason tapped his fingers rhythmically against the leather seat. "I haven't eaten anything in five hours."

"That's a new record," Keegan sniggered. The cabin was silent, until he turned to me with a sly smile on his face. "So, Alex."

"Yeah, Buddy." I responded nonchalantly, staring out the window at the people on the sidewalk.

"You got pretty flustered over that one fan during the meet, didn't you?" He slugged me teasingly on the arm. I laughed uncomfortably, turning to look at him. My arms folded over each other.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"I don't know, that one fan we met kind of in the thick of it all. Remember? 'Hey, I-uh. Well never mind!'" he mimicked me. "Why didn't you ask her for her number?" He demanded. I turned my head back to the window.

"Lauren was sweet and all," I shrugged. Her name rolled off of my tongue perpetually. Heat crept up the back of my neck.

"But?"

"But, I don't know. She's a fan. She doesn't see me as an equal, but as a superior. It's kind of demeaning. I don't want to date someone who sees me as a celebrity, and not a person."

"Just because she's a fan, doesn't mean she one of the creeps that tweets you vulgar crap, or something like that." Noah countered. "You remembered her name. That's got to mean something."

"I don't want her to play me, you know? Try to impress me and be someone she isn't. Only date me for the fame and money, but not for me. Also, we literally met for five minutes." I tried to explain, still looking out the window. Jason nodded.

"I understand, I think," Keegan piped in.

I closed my eyes softly, desperately trying to scratch the girl out of my thoughts. I suppose there was more to the exchange than what I had told them.

I hadn't told them about her eyes. Two clear lakes of water, which pale shafts of light shot through, illuminating the depths. They didn't need to know about the pure starstruck emotion that had tugged at my heart when I made eye contact with her. It had felt like both of our worlds were taken out of the universe for a moment, and we had been submerged in our own reality. They didn't need to know about the calming presence I had endured the moment she smiled at me.

"Alex? Did you here me?"

My head snapped around to look at the boys again, clearing away my thoughts. "Huh?"

"Are you okay, man?" Noah frowned. I let out a deep sigh and nodded.

"Yeah. Yeah let's do this."

The limo slowed to a stop in front of the restaurant and Noah opened the door for all of us. We stepped out into the frostbitten, New York air. I pulled my jacket collar up around my ears, my nose already turning red.

"Let's get inside before we freeze," Jason joked. I nodded, and we dodged foot traffic, making our way to the door. Keegan opened the glass barrier, and we entered the warmer, heartier atmosphere.

A waiter in a white shirt came over to the podium, and he smiled at us before speaking. "Good evening, my name is Carlos, do you have a reservation?"