Stranded

LAUREN

Unknown Number: Hi! This is Alex! I was wondering if you wanted to go on a date tomorrow? Maybe go and see a movie together?

I gasped and slapped Alyssa on the arm rapidly. Her eyes darted as she looked over the text, before she shrieked and bounced up and down. My dorm room mattress rocked violently, strained creaking sounds coming from under it.

"Oh my gosh! Yes! Say yes! You're free tomorrow!" She squeezed my arm. I squirmed away and beamed. My gray blankets swirled around me as I twisted.

"Am I free tomorrow?"

"Even if you aren't, you need to clear your schedule. This is top priority! We need to get you something to wear!" She rambled. Her fingers wrapped tightly around my wrist, leaving whitened imprints where she held it.

"I hope I still have my arm by then," I teased her. She loosened her grip and looked over my shoulder as I was typing back.

"Oh, no! You can't respond like that! Give me your phone." She snatched it away, and I helplessly retorted.

"But that's how I respond to you when you text me to make plans. I'm trying to sound cool and casual." She smirked and shook her head.

"Laurie, this is a boy. It's different. You need to appeal to him!" Alyssa waved her fingers in the air as she finished typing out the text. She gave me back the phone, and I read it over.

"I am not sending this."

"Fine, write whatever you want, I tried to help," she shrugged disapprovingly and grabbed her own phone again. I retyped a simple response and sent it.

Me: Sure! What were you thinking?

Alex: Stranded? It just came out and the reviews are really good.

I bit my lip nervously. "Alyssa, he wants to go see Stranded."

"Then go see Stranded," she encouraged nonchalantly, not looking up. I stared at her anxiously, and finally she sighed and met my gaze.

"It's a horror movie though."

Alyssa gave me a sympathetic smile and squeezed my arm again, more gently this time. "You've got a very limited window to get this guy. You've got to simply mirror his personality and be his dream girl. He's probably only going to be here for a couple of weeks. The first step to marrying this man and living happily ever after in a mansion, is getting a second date."

I replied, a little louder than required. "Who said anything about marriage?"

"Look, do you want to date him or not? Appeal. To. Him. Those are the magic words. I'm trying to help," she sternly advised. I sighed.

This was my favorite member of my favorite band. Why wouldn't I try to impress him? Maybe if I made it through this one movie, it would pleasant enough of an experience for him to ask me on a second date. That was the goal, according to Alyssa.

"I know you can do it," Alyssa announced. She bounced on the bed excitedly again. I hesitated, before typing up a reply, and then sending it.

Me: Sounds good, what time?

Alex: I'll pick you up at 8?

Me: Perfect!

<====><====>

A knock sounded from the hallway and I twisted the silver ring around my finger nervously. Alyssa stared at me from her bed, an encouraging smile on her lips. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.