In Which We Leave

{Dean's POV}

I can't believe I did that.

I kept repeating that to myself as I drove away from the bunker. I just couldn't piece together the images that I was replaying in my head.

Cas coming at me, slowly, with tears in his eyes. Cas pinned against the wall. Cas hitting the bed. Cas laying on the floor, unmoving. Cas looking at me, so vulnerable.

Cas.

I did that. He was trying to warn me about the Mark, and instead of listening, I let the Mark take over.

I panicked. I ran. I ran to a car and drove as fast as I could. I didn't even pay attention to what car I got into or how fast I was going. If any police officers saw me, I would definitely be pulled over. But I didn't slow down until there were, at least, a hundred miles behind me.

I wasn't paying attention to where I was going, either. I was just driving. Eventually, the sky was pitch black and I began to notice some features of the landscape. When the sky started to lighten up, I pulled into my childhood home.

A flood of memories came over me as I stepped through the door I picked the lock on. Yet, most of those memories were of Cas.

You should have killed him.

What? No. What am I thinking?

You should have. You believed everything that you told him, and you should have just finished what you started. Your life would have been so much better without him.

A terrible pain shot through my skull, causing me to clutch the side of my head.

He's not worth the trouble.

Something caught my eye: the Mark was that horrible pulsing light again. It finally clicked. The voice in my head wasn't mine; it was the Mark.

"I love Cas!" I yelled into the quiet morning air.

No, you don't, the Mark said. You want him gone.

"I want him to forgive me. But he won't. He can't. I can't go back to him. If I do, you'll just hurt him again. I have to protect Cas."

Protect him? He's the reason you're like this. He's the reason I'm here. You don't want to protect him any more than you want to protect Crowley.

I fell to the floor, leaning against a nearby wall for support. The voice was ringing in my head so loudly, I couldn't think of anything else. I grasped at my head to get the noise to stop. When that didn't work, I tried to claw off the Mark.

"Just go away!" I screamed out in pain. "I just want you to go away!"