In Which They Shop

{Cas's POV}

We went on like that for a while: lounging around, sleeping wrapped in each other's arms, never leaving the bunker.

About a month after I... after I fell, I couldn't stay confined within those walls any longer.

"Dean, I'm bored."

He looked up from Sam's laptop and frowned. "What do you want to do?"

"I don't know."

I started picking at the pair of grey sweatpants I borrowed from Dean. Well, I say borrowed. I kind of took them as my own.

He sighed and closed the lid, sliding his brother's computer onto the coffee table. "Do you want to go on a hunt?"

I shook my head. "No. I want to do something normal."

"Normal? Like what?"

I shrugged and pushed myself off the couch. "Let's go shopping."

"Shopping?" Dean asked, incredulously. "You want to go shopping?"

I nodded excitedly. Finally, we could do something.

"Fine."

I went down to Dean's room and changed into a pair of his jeans and his faded ACDC T-shirt. I slipped on some shoes and met Dean by Baby.

He raised his eyebrows as I sat in the passenger seat. "What?" I asked.

"Nothing." And he started the engine. He cast another glance at me and I frowned.

"What, Dean?"

He pulled out of the garage and started onto the main road. "You look hot."

I felt my cheeks warm and I bit my lip, turning to face the window. Dean turned on the radio and nudged me, offering my choice of music. I smiled and flicked through the stations, finally landing on one playing ACDC. Dean shook his head but I could see the grin peaking through. As the chorus to Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap pulsed through the speakers, I laced my hand in Dean's. I crossed my legs on the seat and settled in for the drive.

~~~

We were at the, oh what did Dean call it, the mall for a few hours, and I ended up with a bunch of new clothes. Granted, I needed clothes anyways, but it felt like a treat.

I got jeans and shirts and flannels and boots. Dean laughed at my choice of T-shirts, but I knew that he meant well.

"Finally, I can get my closet back," he teased at one point. I smiled, but we both knew that I would wear his clothes as often as I felt like.

We walked back to the car in a comfortable silence. I was simply relishing in how wonderful it felt to do something normal humans did. We weren't chasing down demons or trying to stop the apocalypse; we were just shopping.

And it felt nice.

As we neared the Impala, I thought about what everything would be like if none of this ever happened. What would my life be like if Crowley didn't show up all those years ago in high school? What if Anna and Gabe never told me about the angels? What if I would have chosen Dean?

Would we have gone to college? Would we have lived regular, boring lives? Would we be happy?

"What are you thinking about?" Dean asked, stopping at the driver's side of the car.

"Hm? Oh. I was just thinking about what it'd be like to be normal."

Dean frowned, but I ducked into the car.

"What do you mean?"

I shrugged, pulling my seat belt into place. "Like if I didn't get my memories back in high school. Where would we be?"

"Probably dead," he said as he started the Impala. When I gave him a questioning look, he elaborated. "How many times have we all saved the world? Azazel, the apocalypse, the Leviathans, Abbadon. We couldn't have ever been normal."

"I'm sure some other hunters could have taken care of everything." I paused. "Would you not want to live a regular life?"

"Not really."

I stared at him until he glanced over to me. "Why?"

"Why?" He started to raise his voice. "Because I'm proud of everything I've done and I don't want to live a boring life. I don't want to be someone who has a schedule and every day is the exact same thing as the day before. I like the life I have. I don't want it to be any different."

"Even if we could've been together?"

He laughed. "Yeah, Cas. Because the world is more important than you. It's more important than us. If anything was different, everyone could be dead. And I wouldn't want to be responsible for that."

"But-"

"Just drop it!" he yelled. My eyes left his face and were attracted to something else: the Mark was glowing a painful red.

I looked back to Dean, but it didn't seem to be bothering him.

I shrunk into my seat, thinking about what this meant.