Vol.2 / Chapter 11 : "Ruby?"

Rei made it a whole two steps before falling forward, unconscious. Popsin was immediately by his side.

"Quickly. We must move Master Rei and find a cure." He commanded. Blake and Weiss lifted Rei off the ground, supporting him with their shoulders.

"You guys go on back. Uncle Qrow and I will bring Yangie back." Ruby proudly announced.

"No can do, kiddo. You're staying with Popsin."

"Awwww why!?"

"Those other times, sweetheart, I was sure that I'd win no matter what. This time however, I'm not sure if I can even come back."

---

"Will he be.... Alright?" Weiss asked, sitting worriedly by Rei's unconscious side. They had him lying down on his old bed in the cabin, the blankets covering him because it made the others feel like he was being protected by the cloth.

"I'm sure Master Rei will survive. He.... Has endured worse." Popsin said, pausing slightly.

"Earlier, Rei mentioned his powers being depleted again. Why is that?" Blake asked the old butler.

"On our way here, we encountered a dangerous beast. A beast not feared for its power, but for its deadly fragrance. The beast we encountered was a Poison Tusk Boar. The Boar releases a toxin upon death that, once inhaled, will slowly decrease the energy inside the body. It decays the power but the effects only last a short time. Once the time is up, the user's power will return to full. It is nothing to worry about." Popsin replied.

"And the beast he killed? The Demonic Spider? What about that? Isn't it also poisonous?" Blake continued to question.

"It's aura is as well. It also has the same death properties as the Boar."

"So he's been poisoned? Twice? Isn't there a cure?" Weiss asked.

"There is a cure, Mistress Weiss. However, we would need two cures in this particular case. And although I am no Master Of The Poison Arts, I can assume that his weakened state will not survive the two cures inside of his body."

"What? That doesn't make any sense. A cure is supposed to destroy a poison, so how would using two cures kill him?" Weiss asked blankly.

"And just, how do you suppose a cure destroys a poison? It enters the veins, seeks the poison, and completely demolishes it. If we were to put two inside of him, the effects could be catastrophic." Weiss was about to respond when suddenly a weak and broken voice spoke.

"Pnu... Pnuema.... F-.... Flower. Pnuema.... Flow---wer...." Rei's weak and raspy voice spoke.

"The Pnuema Flower?" Weiss asks quietly.

"The Pnuema Flower.... A very deadly and near immortal poison flower." Popsin stated.

"Immortal Poison?"

"An immortal poison is generally a plant that is poisonous. It sounds simple, but the immortal class poisons contained within the plant are so powerful, even a dragon of old would refuse to inhale it. Also, the Plant the Immortal Poison inhabits never wilts, giving it's immortal properties." Popsin explained.

"So what's he want to do with the Pneuma Flower? It's poisonous, so what's he going to do with it?" Blake demanded.

"If I am thinking correctly like Master Rei, he intends to eat the poisonous flower."

"Wait." Weiss said suddenly.

"Where's Ruby?"

---

Qrow cautiously took a step into the cave, the obvious signs of the Black Gate Demon Spider's nest outside.

It was impossible to miss, the signs of the nest. A giant spiderweb outside basically blanketing the entrance.

Something roared quietly inside the cave, sending echoes throughout the walls. A cracked stick and a sharp, surprised intake of breath drew his attention behind him. He quickly whipped around, scythe in hand.

"Ah-!" Ruby quietly screamed as Qrow barely stopped his blade from ripping her throat out.

"Ruby!? I said go with the others!" Qrow seethed quietly.

"I know, I know! But it's just....." Ruby felt her words escape her slightly. Qrow sighed, already knowing what she was going to say.

"Go back, Ruby." Qrow said sternly. His confidence oozed from him, only enforcing his words.

But then he spotted the tears.

"Bu- but what if--... What if there was another accident?" Ruby cried, tears streaming down her face and sobs taking place of her breathing.

"Hey, calm down alri-" Qrow's sentence was interrupted when he was suddenly struck from the side by the female Black Gate Demon Spider. The demon spider roared, scaring Ruby and causing the girl to freeze.

"Gah-- Ruby! Run!" Qrow shouted at her. He quickly got up, running as fast as he could to try and move her.

He wasn't fast enough.

Luckily, he didn't have to be fast enough.

Ruby quickly brought her scythe out, taking the brunt of the Demon Spider's swing and not moving.

"That strike sent me flying, and yet she blocked it like a pro.... She's only a rank 30 and yet she can do sh*t like this!?"

Ruby quickly spun her scythe, charging the beast and launching it backward. Qrow shook his head violently for a second, then ran forward. Using his scythe, he quickly slashed three times. The three slashed sent the Demon Spider flying, crashing into a cave wall behind it.

"Run, Ruby!" Qrow shouted desperately.

---

"Don't tell me she's with Qrow." Blake breathed.

"I'm afraid Mistress Ruby is in fact with Master Qrow." Popsin confirmed.

"I saw her sneak from our group and head back to Master Qrow."

"And you didn't think about saying anything!? What if something bad happens to her!?" Weiss screamed.

"Mistress Weiss, I apologize. Although, you are forgetting one fact."

"And that is?"

"Ruby has silver eyes, just as I do."