Chapter 3 : "An Encounter"

Vote and comment on what you think!

Rei ran, the branches of the forest cutting him in several places. The forest provided good cover, as he couldn't be seen from the palace. Fresh tears fell behind him, his arm reaching up to wipe the tears away as he ran. He was getting tired, but he didn't know if Weiss had found his note. Of course, he'd miss his sisters. That fact would never change. But there was a part of him that felt like running away wasn't going to solve anything.

Rei shook his head, the thoughts leaving his mind as he tripped over roots and rocks.

He never heard the growls coming from the beast following his scent.

----

"Your majesty!" Shouted a servant. Warren looked up from his constant paperwork to find that a servant, a rather distressed servant he may add, was in front of him.

"Yes, Popsin?" Warren asked. What could be so important that his servant had to come and interrupt his paperwork that would seal the deal on marrying his son to another family?

"Master Rei has run away!"

----

Rei ducked, barely dodging the claw of the Beowulf behind him. Earlier, he had stopped to take a mere rest. He never imagined that a lone Beowulf would attack him, its claws aimed for his head. A renewed fear instillied on his heart, Rei kicked the beast in the stomach. The beast faltered slightly, then rose another paw. Rei moved swiftly, avoiding the attack and pulling his sword. Rei instinctively remembered all of his training, but even while being hidden in the trees with his life on the line, Rei felt like he was being watched.

And indeed he was. Behind Rei, a man of average height and black hair watched the scene unfold. His weapon was at his side, in his hand should he need to help the poor teenager.

Rei struck out, bringing his sword up and landing a large gash onto the beast's chest. The beast roared in pain, backing off slightly then charged once again. Rei closed his eyes for only a short second, picturing his older sister cheering him on. Rei quickly opened his eyes, then rushed forward. Rei pulled his sword down at the last moment, cutting the beast's arm off. The Beowulf roared in pain once more, which gave Rei enough time to turn around and use the first glyph he had ever been thought.

A large blue circle with the intricate design of the Schnee family appeared in his palm as he raised his hand to face the Beowulf. Rei took one slight breath, then fired. The blast, an energy-based attack that left little bits of dust behind it as it moved, exploded onto the beast.

Rei fell to his knees in exhaustion, the mere effort between running away and suddenly fighting a Beowulf finally having its effect. He suddenly heard rustling behind him, and in that one second, he remembered what his sister had told him.

"Beowolves never travel without the pack." There was another part to that saying, but Rei's mind instantly forced him to turn around with his sword jutting out.

"Drop the hostility, will ya? I'm not gonna hurt'cha." Said a black haired make with most red eyes he'd ever seen. No, he wasn't drunk. His pupils were a brilliant red, the irises easily visible when compared to the whites of his eyes.

Rei kept his sword up, not trusting the male. He narrowed his eyes, looking for anything in the male's eyes that said he was lying. The male then held his hand out, a gesture that Rei gladly took.

"Uncle Qrow?" A girl asked. The girl looked to be about two years younger then Rei and had red highlights in her hair. However, her silver eyes stood out the most. Silver eyes were a very rare trait, one of which Rei had seen before. They were in the eyes of Popsin, his personal butler that attended him whenever Rei was sick.