Chapter 4 : "Into To Beacon"

Ruby always wondered why Rei came to live with them. Why didn't he go back to his own parents? She knew they were both alive, having heard his conversations with her uncle Qrow. So why did he stay? The question boggled the mind of the 10-year old, prompting her to ask him.

But she didn't. Something in her gut told her not to ask, to not bring the question up with the light blue-haired male she now considered her brother.

Ruby could still remember the first day her father had met Rei. It was 2 weeks after Rei had first been found in the forest.

Tai Yang Xiao Long looked at the young boy, then looked to Qrow for answers.

"You'd better not have taken him from his parents like the last time." Tai threatened. Qrow laughed slightly, rubbing the back of his head.

"I was drunk! Let it go! I brought the boy back, didn't I?" Qrow argued. Tai smiled slightly as well, then placed a hand on Rei's shoulder after getting down on one knee.

"What's he doing here Qrow?" Tai asked, ushering everyone into the living room but stopping his brother so that they could have a moment to themselves.

"Crystal's kid. She passed two weeks ago." Qrow said bluntly, leaving out the important facts.

"Was sh-?" Tai began. Qrow cut him off quickly, as if what he had to say was far more important.

"Murdered. Right in front of him. They're hunting us down, Tai. The last of the third generation hunters." Qrow stated, again leaving the most important fact.

"Summer was their first target."

----

"Well, here's your room Rei. Right next to Yang's room." Tai said, a smile plastered across his face. Rei thanked him quietly, he still wasn't used to talking openly. He walked into the room shortly after, looking around. The room was a medium sized one, the walls spanning at least 9 feet a piece. There was only a small bed with wooden drawers next to it.

"You get aquatinted. I'm going to check up on Qrow." Tai said before swiftly exiting the room. Rei stared at the white walls, the bright color only reminding him of someone. 

"Mom"

----

-5 Years Later- 

Three caped figures walked onto the campus of Beacon, the most prestigious academy for Hunters and Huntresses in all of Vale. They walked in a triangle formation, two of them following the lead of the first who had a particularily red cape flowing behind her and covering her face. The three were stopped by some older hunters-in-training, all of them being male. The largest one stood in the back, crossing his arms with a smug look on his face. The other two moved closer to the group, before on of the two piped up. 

"Haven't you heard? Beacon is full, get lost. Besides, we don't need three more girls here." 

"Three girls?" The lead asked, lifting her cloak to reveal a girl who was merely the age of 15. Suddenly, through a series of quick events, one of the cloaked figures shot forward. The figure's blade had nearly hit the disrespectful bully's throat, and it would have had the figure not stopped in his tracks. The cloak's hood that covered Rei's face fell back, revealing the dark-blue-haired male with a vicious intent in his crystal blue eyes.

"Rei isn't a girl." Ruby said while smiling. The other older male charged Rei,  pulling his own blade. Rei swiftly kicked the first male, then turned around and clashed blades with other. He pushed against the male's sword, knocking the male away. Rei then turned to the last male, the large brute-like one and pointed his sword. 

"You next?" Rei asked, not realizing the other two had awoken. Ruby was about to rush forward, to help Rei when she felt a hand on her shoulder. 

"Yang! Let go!" Ruby complained. Yang pulled her hood back, revealing her perfect blonde hair 

"He's fine. It's Rei after all." Yang reassured. Rei quickly heard their footsteps, loud and rushing towards him. He jumped up up high into the air,  nearly performing a delayed backflip. He landed behind the two males, then quickly lashed out with his sword. His blade still had the sheath on, preventing him from causing severe damage to the two. They were launched forward, both being knocked when the each hit a tree. 

"Not bad, rookie." The brute said, getting of his tree and uncrossing his arms. Rei readied himself to fight again, as he placed his hand on the hilt of his sword. He didn't pull the blade out, as the brute had his hands outstretched in a peaceful manner. 

"I won't fight today. I'm not allowed to, as I'm a year ahead of you guys. Cardin Winchester, by the way." The brute said as he lifted the unconscious two off the ground. 

"Rei Crystal." Rei responded, taking his hand off his sheath and motioning for his sisters to follow him. Yang smiled, then followed. Of course, Ruby was already next to Rei, chatting away with the male who only responded when he wanted to. 

"Ruby." Rei cut off. "Maybe we should focus on finding Ozpin's office. I bet he'll be pissed we missed the bullhead."