chapter 23

earlier that night...before the party...

Rebecca's pov

a chorus of goodbyes and goodnights and i was out the door of the hospital. it was a warm Thursday afternoon and i wanted to walk home today. i have a car but...i also live like a half mile from the hospital and i need the exercise. not that i dont get enough exercise helping people in and out of the bed and even carrying some people but enough about that. im off work. im not on call for the rest of the weekend. im good. i just power walked down the sidewalk. ok.

i was about half way home when i heard a low groan. i immediately went into panic mode. ive worked in a hospital for the past 16 years and i know that groan anywhere. its the sound someone in pain makes when they cant scream in agony. ok. i know i heard it. im only 36 so im not senile yet. ok. im sorry whoever you are but i need you to make-. i heard it again. ok. i looked around. the sidewalk under me, clear blue sky above, the busy street to my left and the bushes to my right. i heard it again. this time its coming from....the bushes? i scanned the bushes. nothing seemed out of the-.they started rustling. ok. i moved a little closer. a little closer. i kicked something and i heard the groaning louder. i looked down. i tried not to jump out of my skin. im a professional. done this too long to be startled by the sight of blood...but not that much blood. "AAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!" i jumped back, nearly falling flat on my ass. it was a head. sticking out of the bottom of the bushes. i took a deep breath. ok. im good. my heart can stop beating so fast now. i dont have time to ask what happened to him cause he is obviously in intense pain. ok. i leaned over him. wow. he was actually cute. i could tell he cleans up nice and what the fuck am i thinking about!!! shit. i gotta get him to the hospital!!! i tugged on the head. he let out a lo groan as the rest of him started coming out the bushes. he was inside of a large black trash bag with just his head sticking out. looked like someone wanted him to be found. i tugged on the bag. it was wet. really wet. this guy is still bleeding from something. i picked him up and hoisted him on my shoulder. yeah. i work out. and he is sorta light. ok. i took a deep breath and started jogging back to the hospital.

"oh hey Rebecca! back so so-OH MY GOD!!" the other nurse started freaking out at the man hoisted on my shoulder. "calm down. i need a stretcher pronto," she just nodded and took off running. she returned with a freshly prepared stretcher. i carefully set him on the stretcher. she rolled it while i worked at the bag he was in. i took some shears and sliced it open. loads of blood came pouring out. im soo glad i didn't change out of my scrubs. "get doctor chopper asap!!! he is gonna need surgery and lots of blood!!!" i  yelled. the other nurses nodded and scattered to find the director. we wheeled him to the ER. i removed the bag and got loads of towels to stop the bleeding on his chest and ankles. it wasn't enough and the color of the blood coming out his ankles was a dark red. some arteries were severed. i called over more nurses to help with his clean up. some held his chest together and did some emergency stitching on his long cut. other kept his feet from falling off at the ankles. more stitching. whoever did this to the guy did NOT want him to live. 

20 minutes of seemingly futile efforts to stop the blood and he was stable. by some miracle he is stable. we got the blood iv's in his arms, all his wounds are stitched up. he is definitely gonna be blind in his left eye. we had to sew it shut. "OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPPEND!!!" the familiar panicky voice of the director. "oh come on!! you are the last one who should be panicking here!!" he just nodded. he walked over quickly and started inspecting him. "we were able to stop the bleeding and sew up his wounds temporarily till surgery can be performed. he had a massive laceration across his chest, both ankles sliced to the bone, and a large deep cut down his left eye," i reported. he nodded. he stood next to the man and inspected the stitching. "looks like the cuts were clean through so they should heal up just fine. he wont be able to walk for a long time but not forever. how much blood did he loose?" he asked. i looked at his chart. "looks to have lost about 3 pints of blood. we have him on three iv's and a mechanized filtration unit to keep him alive and get the blood back in him," he nodded. he looked at the man's ankles. "he will need tissue and artery reconstruction surgery asap. the chest wound seems to not have cut into anything so some clean stitching and a body cast to keep it together till it starts healing on its own. he seems to be in a medically induced coma. good. keep him like this for at least two weeks. did you find any id on him?" i shook my head. the nurse finished cleaning off the dried blood from his body. i took the shears and cut the pants and undies off. my face felt hot. some one's hung. i shook my head at the thought. not the time or the place. i grabbed a gown and worked it on him. ok. he is good. alive, breathing, getting better. i sighed. im super tired. i worked a 12 hr shift today and i was looking forward to getting some shut eye over the weekend. i felt a hand on my shoulder. i looked at tony. "its ok, Rebecca. he is fine here. go ahead home. ill see you sunday," he said calmly. i nodded and made my way home.