Nathaniel

"What about all those pictures on Facebook, not to mention your relationship status there. You guys actually set it," she was coming up with cracks in our cover.

"My parents aren't on social media," I replied. I picked up a throw pillow and hugged it. Pretty comfy. "What do you think?" I asked.

We were at Crate and Barrel, picking up things for my new condo.

She took the pillow from me and hugged it herself, "Okay. I'm not a fan of the color though." It was turquoise, which is an odd shade for a pillow.

"What about your cousins?" she asked.

"They knew better than to say anything," I replied. "Do you think Tia would like it?"

"I think she'd like anything you picked," she answered. "I don't get it. Why didn't you just invite her to this shopping trip?"

"Because I haven't told her about the condo yet."

"Can you do that first, before we get to furnishing? I mean, you're not even sure if she'd be cool with it."

"I'm not asking her to move in, if that's what your suggesting."

"What then? Look Tia, I bought a condo. You're welcome to crash here anytime."

I just rolled my eyes at her as I continued picking things out for my condo.

That is just it. I wish Mich or my parents or Tia wouldn't read so much into it.

Tia

Nate finally asked me to dinner. He must be revealing his surprise.

I'm so excited I can hardly contain my goofy smile all through work. Even Jake noticed.

I noticed that Jake has been noticing me lately. He has also been inviting me to lunch everyday now, which I'm surprisingly game for. Maybe because I want to prove to him that I am as nice as everyone else seem to think.

Nate handed me an envelope.

"What is this?" I asked. Could this be the surprise?

"I know you open your gifts on Christmas morning, but can you open this one now?" he asked.

I nodded and opened it as soon as humanly possible, I'm too excited. What's this? It looks like a metro rail card.

I looked at it and said, "But the MRT doesn't even reach where I live."

He laughed. "That's not. It's a key card."

I'm still confused.

"To the condo that I just bought," he explained.

Um... I'm even more confused now. What is he trying to say? Is he asking me to move in? Michelle said it's smaller than a ring, but-

"Are you asking me to move in?" I decided to ask directly.

"Uh, no," he replied. "I don't think your father would be too pleased with that."

I let out a deep breath. Oh good, since I'm not even too pleased with that. I can't move in with him. Moving in with someone usually means that there are expectations. Expectations that I don't think I'm ready for.

But looking at Nathaniel's expression, he doesn't look like a pervy boyfriend trying to get his girlfriend in bed. No. He looks like someone telling his friend that his parents are out of town and they can crash at his place, where they could do friendly things like play video games or drink beer.

"I thought that we can hang out there instead of at Intercon," he added. "No room service though."

Hang out.

For the record, I never hang out with him at Intercontinental Hotel, that was with Mich and the rest of the gang. I always had to go home after dinner.

"You can also crash there when you need to work late. It's not really safe for you to commute at night," he continued.

Yes, I know that it's not safe. That's why I have pepper spray in the bag.

I remember when we first started dating, he offered to drive me home. But it really wasn't convenient for him, since we live in opposite ends, also I usually had to work late. So I told him that I could manage myself. And I have managed.

Looking at Nate, I feel that sinking feeling again creeping back. The sinking feeling that he never crossed over from storge yet.

"Aren't you going to say something?" he asked, his face showing his worry.

"Um," was all I managed.

"It has 3 bedrooms," he added. "You can have your own room. Oh and it's ensuite, so you even have your own bathroom-" he started rattling, he was getting nervous.

3 bedrooms? Oh. Mich.

"Does Mich get a key too?" I asked him acidly.

My question registered on his face, but he replied calmly, "No. Just you."

I lifted an eyebrow, skeptical.

"Say something else?" he prodded.

"I'll think about it," I answered, as I handed the key card back to him.

Well, I was certainly surprised. Surprises, I guess, can go two ways- awesome or blows up in your face.