Chapter 21: Flashback

~five years ago~

"Fuck off!" Said George as he pushed me off the playground.  I hit the concrete hard and felt several cuts all over me.

"You're so mean!" I yelled back as George laughed with his friends. 

"Sorry, kid, but this is only for fourth graders.  No third grade aloud-" he didn't get to even finish his sentence when he was kicked in the balls by a fiery red headed girl.

"Wrong!" She yelled as the boy crumpled to the ground.  "This playground is for everyone!"

After she was done, the girl came over to me and held out her hand.  "Are you okay?" She asked.

I nodded, to surprised to speak, and took her hand.

She gripped it tightly and pulled me up, almost flinging me away in the process.

"My name is Katie.  And you are?"

I looked down.  "Seth."

The bell ringed, indicating that school was over.  My eyes brightened slightly as I bowed slightly.  "Thank you, Katie, but I have to-"

"Do you want to go hang out with me?" Katie asked.

"Sure-  I mean, I'm sorry, but I can't."

"Why?" Katie gave me puppy dog eyes.  I tried my best to avoid them. 

"I need to go look after Meery, my sister."  I said.

Katie tilted her head.  "Is she okay?"

I shook my head.  "No, she is sick with..."  I struggled to get the words out.  "Cancer..."

"Oh, I'm sorry."  She said sincerely.  "Can I come help you?"

My eyes widened.  "Um...sure." I said.

A few minutes of packing up and we were ready to go.  We walked down several streets while talking about random things until we got to a small house painted white and black. 

"Here we are," I said nervously as I let Katie through the gate. 

"It beautiful," She replied.

We walked up to the front door as my father opened the door with a grin that made him look insane.

"Seth!  You're home!  And who is this?" He asked.

I glared at him before responding.  "This is Katie, my friend."

"Nice to meet you, no come on in!  Both of you!"

We nodded and walked inside.  My mom was in the kitchen making who knows what this time and humming.

"Hi, Seth!" She sung.  I grinned

"Hi mom, now come on Katie.  Meery is upstairs," I replied while running towards the stairs.

We walked over to a pink door that was opened slightly.  I pushed it even further to show a girls bedroom.

The walls were light pink and it had a white carpet.  Toys were scattered in some places but other than that it was clean.

Meery gave me a weak smile.  "Hi bro..."  She whispered before seeing Katie.  "Oh, hello.  Who are you?"

"I'm Katie.  It's nice to meet you." Katie said as she went over to the bed where the frail girl laid.

Meery's smile grew slightly.  "It's nice to meet you too."

I walked over with Katie and sat down next to her bed.

"Are you Seth's friend?" Meery asked.  I never had anyone over before so it was surprising to everyone.

Katie nodded before ringing to me.  "Yeah," she said with a grin.  "I am."