Chapter 7: Idiot

Hearing the noise, I whirled around and was face to...well...nothing. I looked down to see a kid standing there. He had light blond hair and deep blue eyes and wore a blue hoodie, black jeans, and black sneakers.

The boy also had his arms crossed and was tapping the ground with his left foot, glaring at me with eyes colder than ice.

"Y-yes..."  I stuttered.  How did he find out?  Did the boy see my eyes?

"Liar!"  The boy yelled as he pointed his accusing finger at me.  His voice was high pitched like a seven year old.  "I can sense it all over you.  Ghost power, but you aren't one.  What are you?!"

"Wait...sense?" I asked.

The boy nodded.  "Yeah, I'm a ice spirit.  Similar to ghost, but I'm actually physical and have certain powers.  Now that I told you, you need to tell me."

I sighed.  "Fine," I said as I put my hands up.  "I'm not human, nor ghost.  I-  I don't know what I am.  By the way, what are you doing on this island?"

"What is this?  Twenty questions?  I work here, you idiot.  I'm a gardener ever since last week," hid voice suddenly went down to a whisper.  "But really, I'm working for a secret organization.  I'm investigating a series of power paranormal phenomena that has been accusing around this area, but mostly around here."

I couldn't help myself.  I laughed.

The boy frowned.  "You think I'm lying, idiot?"

I nodded.  "Well, yea, I mean a kid can't-"  I grunted and kneeled as he kicked me in the shin.

"Excuse me?" He asked angrily.  "I'll have you know that 14 years old."

"Seriously?" I asked, still wincing from the pain.  He was only one year younger than him.  So why did he look under ten.

"Humph.  I guess an idiot like you wouldn't understand that ice spirits don't age properly like humans do."

"I guess that I didn't, but I'm investigating too," I lied.  Maybe he could help me. 

The boy looked up hopefully.  "Really?"

"Really.  And I think that I may have a stalker.  Can you sense them?"

The boy shook his head.  "That's not how it works.  And besides, if it's the same person who caused these problems...  I think that she would be powerful enough to mask her scent, unlike some idiot."

"Then maybe we can...work together...?"  I hesitated, but I was desperate, and if there was any chance of finding out what's stalking me, then I'll take it.

"Fine," he held out his hand for me to shake.  "I'm Ben, it's a pleasure to work with you.  He said in a tone that showed otherwise.

I took his hand and shook it.  "Same here."  I said through gritted teeth.  I could already tell we weren't going to get along.  "And my name is Seth."