Chapter 8: hide and seek

After me and Ben made the deal, he said he had to go so we went our separate ways. I went back to the farm to where Jess and Callie were waiting.

"What took you so long?" They both asked.  That made Jess glare.

"Oh nothing, I just got a little lost, that's all." I lied, making sure that Ben's cover wasn't blown.

Callie snickered while Jess rolled her eyes.

"Aw, were you scared?" Callie teased.

"No," I replied as I looked up at the Crimson sky.  "We should go into the house, it's getting late."  I didn't want to stay out when this amount of paranormal phenomena near.  Night is when they all came out.

Jess nodded.  "Yea, that's a good idea, we don't want to be attacked-". She was cut off by Callie.  "Why, are you afraid of the dark?"

I frowned.  "No, it's just kidding dark."

Callie smirked.  "Okay, let's go then."  She said before she began to lead us inside.

...

Once we got inside, everyone else was waiting in dark uniform.

"W-what's going on?" I asked, startled.

Katie smiled.  "I decided that we are going to play hide and seek tonight in the woods.  You're coming, right?"

I nodded, not wanting to look like a baby in front of my crush, and swallowed.  This wasn't good.

"Alright, why don't you take your camera too?  You might get some good shots for the movie."

"Yea, okay," I said before taking out my camera and turning it on.

"Alright.  I'll be it first." Said Katie as everyone started heading outside.  "You can go anywhere on the island as I count to one hundred.  Ready?  Go!"  She closed her eyes and everyone booked it until I was alone.  I swallowed before running of to the woods.  I jumped over dead logs and ducked under branches.  I held up my camera as I recorded myself running and acting like someone was chasing me.

After a few minutes, I stopped and decided hide in a ditch.  Making sure I was covered by the shadows, I watched and listened to any noise.  None.

Sighing, I leaned back on the dirt and closed my eyes when I heard a crunch.  Then suddenly I felt someone tackle me to the ground.  I gasped and tried to scream when I felt a hand cover it.

"Shut up, idiot!  Do you want to get caught?!" A voice hissed at me.  I knew that voice.

Ben.

After a few moments, Ben got off of me and shuffled over to the side, looking left and right like he was watching out for something.

"God damnit, Ben," I whispered.  "Why do you always have to sneak up on me?"

Ben smirked.  "Because I want to be as dramatic as possible," he said.  "Now, shut up."

"Why?" I asked.  Last time I checked, he wasn't playing hide and seek with us.

"Because," Ben hissed.  "I think I found the person who is responsible for all of this."