Chapter 46

I think all of us have a hero and a villain in us.~ Anson Mount

Dedication: To VaniaSkye, who was so kind as to let me use her name in my newest book, thank you so much!

Dylan

I had never been expected to stop a bullet.

I wasn't that fast, I didn't have super speed or metal bending powers. Frankly, with the powers that I had, I had never even given a thought as to how I would stop a bullet. I usually incapacitated the person and got rid of their gun before they could.

I was in a dark alleyway, fighting off some muggers who had tried to kidnap a little boy walking home from school. They both had guns, and while I had gotten rid of one, the other still had his gun. The little boy was watching with wide eyes, as I was being choked by the men, and I waved to him, signifying that he should run away.

Thankfully, he took the hint, and bolted in the other direction, out of sight and safe. I breathed a sigh of relief. Now I could really beat these guys. I didn't want to for fear of harming the little boy, but it was time to take them down.

I bent my body forward and flipped the guy who was choking me over my shoulder, slamming him into the ground. He groaned, and I whirled around, sending a well placed kick to the lower abdomen of the other man. He stumbled back, and I took the opportunity to take his face and smash it against my knee, knocking him out cold.

I heard the click of a gun and spun back around. The man who I had flipped over my shoulder was standing up, holding his gun at me. Before I could do anything, her fire twice.

Now, I didn't know what to do, and it's not like I had a lot of time to process what was going on. I instinctively thrust my hands forward, and sent a wave of air towards the guys, knocking him back on his feet.

The bullets did the same. Against too much air resistance, they slowed down so much they clattered to the ground harmlessly.

"Cool." I said in awe, looking at my hands. "I'm bulletproof."

"Not the time." Jake called in my ear. "No more reports of anything the police can't handle, looks like you're off."

"Thanks." I switched off my comm and made my way to the corner of the street, where I could assess where I was then teleport home.

I walked to the sidewalk, and saw that it was nearly time to go home, for it was 5:30, and I hadn't touched any of my work. I was already exhausted, but if things were going the way I thought they were, then I would up very late tonight, trying to accomplish a large amount of my work.

I rubbed my hand over my face and teleported back home, climbing into my car and changing quietly. I came out and brushed my hand through my hair, making it neater before walking in. Siena had the very annoying tendency to try and fix my hair whenever she thought fit to do so.

I walked in quietly, and she was nowhere to be found. Walking into her room, I found her staring at the wall again, which she had been doing this morning. Frowning, I walked into her room and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Siena?" I said gently. These past few days, she had been unusually quiet, withdrawn, reserved. This wasn't The Shell. This was something much worse, of which I never seen the likes of before. She seemed as if the weight of world had been transported onto her shoulders.

I touched her shoulder gently, and she looked up at me. I jerked my hand away in surprise at her face, then placed it on her arm again. She looked bitter, but her eyes were bloodshot, her hands raw and red, her hair a tangled mess.