Chapter 42

You look at the greatest villains in human history, the fascists, the autocrats, they all wanted people to kneel before them because they don't love themselves enough.~ Tom Hiddleston

Dedication: GlitterArmour, for the always wonderful comments and fantastic votes, thank you so much! <3

Siena

I honestly hate doing work of any kind. I don't know about you, but I'm legitimately one of the laziest people on Earth. I would rather be sitting binging Netflix rather than doing work of any kind, or reading rather than doing homework, or sleeping rather than getting work of any kind done. My problem is more based on me getting to start my work. Once I start it, then I can finish it easily. But getting me to actually start it was a completely different thing.

The paper were spread around out my bed, and it was all I could to not do groan at the massive amount of work that I had to do. The only good thing, as that in this age, people digitized nearly everything, so it was much easier to track down. I had been digging for about an hour, trying to figure out where Lab Assistant No. 3, Dorothy Miles, had disappeared to. So far, I had nearly nothing, except for the fact that she was still in the country.

I sighed and dropped the tree back on the bed, rubbing my eyes with the heels of my hands. I had a newly discovered amount of respect for Shreya, for she had gone through so much work for us. Every time I thought of her, a sharp stab of guilt ripped through me. I would need to know who killed her, but I kinda wanted it to be me, so at least I knew the person would feel remorse.

It was late at night, and I had been up for hours tracking down where Dorothy Miles was. I was feeling a bit restless, so I sent a text to Calli, asking if she and could ask Warrior do meet me back at the house, so we could go over that piece of the clue again and track down a few more. I was feeling like I needed a change of scenery, and was desperate to get out of the house.

Calli replied, saying that she had done so, and for me to head back to the Tenement House, so we could meet there. I yawned and rubbed my eyes, before grabbing my phone and forcing myself off my warm bed. I hadn't told Warrior about the items I had discovered, and I didn't plan on doing so anytime soon. I had to do this by myself.

I grabbed my suit from the car and changed, then, instead of driving, I teleported to the house, back on the fire escape where we had discovered the clue. I generated a lightning ball to see what we were dealing with.

The clue was the same we have previously encountered, obviously. I read it silently in my mine. The next place to go is a structure that rises above, where steel monsters thundered above. For now in your time, it is a place of green, but before when I lived, there was smoke and steam. You must find the love of the feline kind, the one that they adore, no matter the time.

"Hey." A voice said next to me, appearing out of thin air. At this point, I was used to Warrior's sudden entrances, so I just waved him off while I continued to study the words, my lips forming the words as I read them.

"Got anything yet?" He asked, crouching down next to me. I shook my head. I was a bit lost on this one, for I had no idea what this would be. I traced my fingers over the words, and pressed my finger to the end of the clue. I honestly had no idea. But a phrase seemed to be the same. Steel monsters. That phrase had been used before, to describe airplanes. But they didn't use smoke. And they weren't very popular at the time of WWII, at least commercial. Which meant that he was referring to trains. I rubbed a hand over my face.

Trains? Where were trains? All I could think of was Grand Central, but we had already been there. There weren't any stations left in the city.

But I was thinking present times. I had to think more of as back then. What stations were there then? Only one other came to mind, and slowly, all the pieces fell into place.