Chapter 10

Chapter 10:

[A/N: HEAD’S UP, IT’S AN IMPORTANT NOTE!

First: Sorry for not updating, please hold off the pitchforks. I made this chapter extra-long as an apology!

Second: Due to some constructive criticism, I’m going to start a little poll. Where the heck should I put the glossary? Front, end, middle, second star to the right? I really don’t want to put them right next to the words because I think that disrupts the flow, but I want to know what you guys think. So tell me!

Third: Dedication to @ilovewerewolves2525 because I’ve been meaning to dedicate something to them for ever!

Fourth: I’ve edited everything a little, not so much that you need to re-read it or anything, but enough little details might not match-up anymore. Sorry!

Fifth: Super Quick Re-cap

Brucie and her parents are currently at the Pine River Pack, staying in the Alpha/Beta house. Brucie retired early from a welcoming dinner to the room she is sharing with Evan. Any other details you want, just re-read. Sorry I’m seriously horrible at re-capping…

Sixth: kidding, that’s it… </3 K]

I had a restless night, my dreams filled with memories of events I would rather not re-live. I tried to sleep longer than usual, hoping to stave off the tired, sluggish feeling I have after nightmares, but by the early morning I could not sleep any longer. I also did not want to rise and begin the day quite yet either. As I lay in that semi-awake, semi-asleep state, a few things registered in my scrambled mind.

Firstly, the object I was resting upon was too comfortable to be a lectulus. Not to say that Evan’s lectulus was not a good place to rest, but it was certainly not this nice. Secondly, I realized I was too warm. I had gone to sleep in my dress with no blankets, yet I could distinctly feel a soft quilt over my skin, giving me plenty of warmth. Actually, I felt as if I were slightly too warm.

Trying to roll off whatever I was upon, I realized one last terrifying fact: there was an arm around my waist restricting me. I began thrashing wildly, like an animal caught in a trap, attempting to escape by all mean necessary. But no matter how much I protested, I could not out-run the memories rapidly turning into a waking nightmare…

The Hunter dangled me in the air by my foot as Jessa screamed something in the background. It was too soft for me to understand; I desperately prayed to the Maiores that she would use the portal to go back to the Grove. The Hunter held me even closer, so close to his eerie physiognomy I could see each and every pore. “What have we here?” he asked again with a chuckle.

With a maniacal laugh he tossed me into the air, but before I could unfurl my wings and escape, he gripped me tightly in his fist. Throwing me into the air again, he caught me by my feet again.

“Stop!” Jessa screamed hysterically, abruptly ending his chortles. From my position, I could see Jessa step out of the pool and grow to her human size. “Stop,” she repeated in an emotionless tone. Despite the fact she only reached his waist, she approached us.

“Put her down and leave,” she commanded.

The Hunter merely laughed. I could not see his face, but I did not need to see it to picture the bone-chilling smile that would grace it.

“Relinquam et opem reperturum!” I shouted to Jessa, struggling against the Hunter’s hold. The hand only tightened in response to my feeble attempts. “Ante serum est!”

Jessa shook he head. “Ego non derelinquam te,” she stated with an air of finality.

Our eyes locked and, for a brief second, I forgot the current situation. I forgot the Hunter, I forgot the human realm, I forgot the primal need coursing through me, telling me to escape. I was transported back to the time when we were but five years old and Jessa sprained her ankle in the middle of the forest. She told me to leave, to find help, but instead I had stayed with her until we managed to hobble home together. I had refused to abandon her, my twin.