Chapter 3

[A/N: Check the end for a glossary at the end of all the phrases!]

The situation quickly turned into one of the times I wished I had enough faerie dust to freeze time and rewind the clock. Here I am, standing in front of the Alpha of the Pine River Pack and he is claiming I am ‘his’. Not to mention the Beta, Jackson (and his sweet, considerate wolf Callum), is here in the room as well. My parents are just outside the door and I am close to losing my composure.

So what did I do? Clutch onto my necklace and have a flashback, of course.

“Mine! You’ll be mine!” yelled the Fae Hunter as Jessa and I ran faster. Mi regina, I could barely breathe as I clutched Jessa’s hand and ran like the wind. I would fly us away, but somehow I doubted that would go well. I did not feel as comfortable with my wings now as merely a few seconds ago.

The pond was a few yards away, but the spell would take a few seconds to cast as well. And we did not have any faerie dust to hasten its magic…

 “I’ll get you, you little Fae!” shouted the Hunter as he sped up. Mi regina, I did not think he could run any faster! I could barely run much faster myself!

Even though we had shrunk to the size of our forms in the Grove, I had a feeling he could still see us as we fled. Either way, we both heard him thunder through the forest after us.

Finally we burst into the clearing and jumped into the water – or at least Jessa did. I felt the hunter grab my leg and pull me up into the air.

O mi regina!

Panic literally overwhelmed me and I lost the capacity to think for a few seconds. I just stared into the cold, dark eyes of the Hunter. Why could they not be myths?!

“What have we here?” he asked with a chuckle. “An itty bitty fairy?”

Before I could re-live the rest of that awful day, someone shook me out of my memory. Vaguely I heard someone calling my name over that sound of someone panting.

Oh, right. That is me, I thought, once again feeling disconnected from myself.

In.

Out.

In.

Out.

Are you alright, milady? asked Callum cautiously.

I opened my eyes, not even realizing I had closed them. Just some memories, I belatedly replied. I could feel his skepticism, but luckily he kept quiet and did not comment. Lastly, I realized I had curled into a ball and was rocking myself on the floor, looking as if I had lost my mind.

Venustus.

At least the floor in here is comfortable. Whatever floor underneath was covered in a plush, soft cloth made of the fluffiest material I have ever felt. These people truly must be royalty of sort to afford such an exquisite domicilium. Two of them at that.

“Are you alright, Brucie?” asked Jackson softly as he tried to approach. When he reached for my arms as if to comfort me, I flinched away from his outstretched hand. What if he felt my glow? “Do you want your parents?” he continued, slowly pulling away as if not to startle me, undeterred from my rejection.

I shook my head and instead focused on controlling my glow. They thought I had almost overcome that memory and I did not want to worry them. A deep breath later, I felt myself calm down, my glow disappearing back to wherever it comes from.

Slowly, like a village elder after a bought of rain, I stood up by clutching onto Jackson’s hand. Only once I was standing on my own did I notice that the Alpha, Evan, was snarling quite viciously and clutching his desk in front of him. His knuckles were bone white and I swear I saw the indentation of each finger in the polished wood.