I jumped down from the trees and stood in front of the cave. Ethan had already disguised pretty well to my surprise, with moss and dead vines covering up the opening. I couldn't see or hear anything from the cave, meaning he didn't start a fire. However I could smell meat and flowers for some strange reason.

"Ethan." I called out, entering the cave, "Why the hell do I smell daisies and bear meat?"

I walked deeper into the cave and saw Ethan huddled over a pile of raw meat and berries. He was sitting on top of a bed of wilted daisies, picking at the meat with a sharp twig.

"What the hell do you want?" he muttered.

I threw down my bag and stood in front of him. I hated the smell of flowers, but telling and showing him that would just be pathetic.

"I want to talk. And I'm going to stay with you for a couple of days, so your going to have to talk back."

He groaned and dropped down his twig. Even though it was dark as hell in the damn cave I could see every part of Ethan's face clearly. Too clearly.

He had bags under his eyes, faint smudges of dirt smeared on his cheeks, messy hair, and empty eyes. Ethan also had a silent hunger to his skin too, like he wanted to eat but was full at the same time.

"You look dreadful." I sat down, "Are you eating and sleeping? Because it doesn't look like it."

"What do you think? Staying here in the dark with nothing but my broken mind to keep myself company...what do you think how I'm doing?"

I froze as silence rang in the air. He stared at me with an aching pain in his eyes. I could tell he wanted help, but couldn't bring himself to ask. Heh, how could I even help anyway?

"Look, I'm not one to get all personal and stuff but I...understand you in a way." I started, avoiding his stare, "You're not the only one to deal with all that shit that happens in someone's head. My question for you though is why?"

Ethan laughed, hiding his face in the shadows of his arms. "Nobody likes me. I'm a creep and outcast in my school, so why keep a pile of skin and bones around people who are trying to be happy? My brother hates me, and my parents are ashamed of their child...now my question for you is why?"

"Why what?"

"Ask me. Relate to me. What caused someone as tough as you to feel similar things as me?" he whispered, his voice barely audible.

I hesitated. I hated it when anybody asked me about why I was so bloody scarred, and when they ask me why I cared. I could answer one but not the other.

Then again he shared his secret with me. And he was a stranger...what could he possibly do?

"I was abandoned as a child. Dumped on the streets because my parents despised me as a mistake. I then lived in rain for so long I wanted to die. I tried so many damn times of course...until I ended up here."

"You're from Britain aren't you? How did you end of up in France?"

"I can't answer that. But you are correct...how did you know?" I asked with wonder. He truly had fascinated me in some twisted way.

"You have a small accent. It's obvious. And you use words like 'bloody' a lot." he responded looking up from his arms with a small smile.

My eyes widened with a light shock as Ethan stared at me. It occurred to me as humorous that I made someone suicidal smile. I knew that it was hard to a task like that, so I was kind of proud of myself...weirdly.

"You smiled." I said blankly.

"Yeah." he said looking away, "You're a lot better than-"

He froze. His eyes were dead set on the entrance of the cave, a tiny fear in his brown eyes.

I turned my head and saw a short figure in the entrance. He was green with blood dripping from his glowing eye sockets.

"You smiled!" BEN said loudly mocking my voice. "How cute. You're actually bonding with a mortal."

"Fuck." I blurted out, mentally slapping myself on the face.

"Hello Rose. And hello stranger, it feels like a lovely day to die, doesn't it?" BEN said smiling, "Now Rose if you could kindly move, then I will quickly slice his lungs out."