Chapter 29: Crazy 4 U

HARPER'S POV

I sat on the beach, now alone, curious as to if Ross was completely sane. One minute it was all emotional, and the next he was running away so fast that I'm pretty sure I saw sparks coming off his feet. I was about to text him, but eventually the slight amount of sense that hadn't been fried out of me told me to just go with it.

Picking up my book again, I tried to bury myself into the words that I knew so well. Alice had just met the Hatter when I became aware that it was going to be impossible to wrap my mind around the story. I set the book down and closed my eyes, praying that an answer would just appear in front of me. Of course it didn't, but something else did.

"HARPER!" Screamed a familiar voice from across the beach. My head shot upward and I saw Riker and Rocky jogging towards me, surfboards under their arms. I smiled at them weakly and Riker sat down in front of me,

"Hey!" I greeted with false enthusiasm. Riker and Rocky were both soaked from head-to-toe and looked like they'd just attacked a whale. Riker's eyes were still wild and Rocky couldn't seem to wipe the smile off his face, "Good day for waves?" I questioned, loving their excitement.

"It was sick!" Rocky began, "We even got some jumps in there that were crazy epic." He raved, still grinning. This time my smile was much more genuine, and I was about to comment, but Riker cut in before I could,

"Yeah, I wish Ross was out there with us." He said, running his hands through his drenched hair, "Wait, where's Ross? Wasn't he just over here?" I shrugged,

"He was. We were just talking, then I told him..." I realized they wouldn't understand and quickly saved myself, "...something, then a couple minutes later, he yelled something I couldn't make out and sprinted off the beach. I have absolutely no idea where he is." Riker and Rocky looked at each other strangely and Rocky opened his mouth to speak, but my phone buzzed with a message from Autumn.

Hey! if you're still at the beach and you see Rocky, make sure to kill him for me :)

I was puzzled by this and tried to hide it, but Riker read the message out loud before I could conceal my phone. Reluctantly, I looked up to see Rocky's eyes wide.

"Do you think someone told her?" He said quietly, turning to Riker with a scared look in his eyes. Riker shrugged, biting his lip.

"Told her what?" I questioned, suddenly worried for my best friend. Riker didn't even think before responding with,

"Told her about the tour." My eyes got as wide as Rocky's,

"TOUR?!" I exclaimed at the two of them. Riker's mouth dropped open,

"Oh crap, did Ross not tell you? Oh Harper, I'm sorry. We figure that's what he was talking to you about!" He explained guiltily. A TOUR?! One that Ross didn't tell me about?! I had so many questions, when? Where? How long? I was gaping and they were both staring at me as if I was going to explode at any moment. Quickly I composed myself and spoke very slowly,

"When is this tour taking place?" I questioned. Rocky turned to Riker to answer,

"In two weeks." He said quietly.

"And how long is it?"

"3 months." My mouth dropped, and suddenly I realized that no matter what I chose (staying in LA or going to New York), I won't get to be with Ross. I realized that no matter what I do, I'm still going to have to miss him. Everyone was silent and we sat like that for a moment.

"So if you weren't talking to Ross about the tour, what did you look so sad about a minute ago?" Riker asked. It wasn't an intruding sort of question, it felt more like he was worried.