Chapter 3: Crazy For ME?

The next day I woke up to a doorbell. I was drowsy from jet lag and stumbled over to the door from my cozy little airplane blanket on the ground.  

"Hello?" I said when I finally got a handle on the door.  

"HI!" yelled at least 4 male voices and one very girly squeal. I immediately got wide eyed at the abundance of noise.  

"Hey, Harper." said a voice I recognized as Riker's. "Sorry to scare you." 

I smiled, "It's alright. Come on in!"

As soon as the lot got inside, the introductions started.  

"Hello, dear! I'm Stormie, the gang's mom!" Said a sweet looking woman. "And this is Rydel, Rocky, Ryland, Ross, and I believe you've met Riker." 

"Nice to meet you guys." I grinned, extending my hand to Stormie and her children.

Admittedly, one of them caught my eye - the same one who smiled at me yesterday. What was that chill again when I shook his hand? Why did that keep happening?

"So Harper," started Rydel, "What brings you to our neck of the metropolis?"  

I laughed and gestured to my guitar, "Music." 

"Hmm..." mumbled Riker, "I know you can mix, but can you play?" All eyes were on me, so I figured it was do or die time.  

"I certainly hope so." I smiled and grabbed my guitar.

I began singing an original song. I knew it needed work, but the lyrics were some of my best. I saw grins spreading across many of their faces around the middle, but Ross and Riker were both staring analytically. Once I finished up, Rocky, Rydel, Stormie, and Ryland clapped, but both Ross and Riker made their way next to me on the floor and began discussing improvement.

"This chord needs to go back in line 2" said Riker. 

"No because it picks up right before the bridge." argued Ross. "It needs to be drawn to line 4 of the chorus and throw D in at 2."

It went on like this for about an hour until I finally broke it up.  

"There's been an excellent amount of improvement going on here, but everyone else has left and I'm starving. Anyone want to grab lunch?"

The three of us went out to the car and they ooed and awed at it's vintage perfection. I just smiled proudly and shot them both down when they offered to drive - no way I was going to pass up a chance to drive this car. 

Eventually we settled on In & Out Burger, a true Californian classic. The three of us sat around the table and just talked. Talked about music, life, the world, and of course, the amazing food. Ross, as it turns out, was hilarious. He never stopped cracking jokes. Not to mention (and I have to because I'm a girl) he's not hard to look at. His hair has a sort of hypnotic quality and his smile... Don't even get me started on it. I've always been a daydreamer, so this was torture in my mind.

It was strange to have this happen. Truthfully, I've never been the most popular. I was always the Indie girl, although I wasn't much of an Indie fan. The nerdy girl in the back of the class with the frizzy brown curls and thick framed glasses was hardly glanced at. Needless to say, Autumn was my only friend.

I got a little better over time. My hair smoothed out a little bit, but was still unruly. My skin cleared up to the point where it's more like a white sheet. Of course the glasses stayed, but at least they're in style now. I don't think I'm totally hideous now. I look very much like my mother and sister, who are incredibly lovely. They both have a beautiful quality in them physically that I don't have. They have a  very natural and attracting look; I just look like a young Keri Russell with short brown hair and glasses. 

As we were leaving the restaurant, Ross turned to me when Riker was already in the car, 

"So, Harper..." he started, "What are you doing tomorrow?" 

I didn't mean to look surprised, but I must have. Was he asking me out? 

"Well tomorrow the movers get here with all of my things. I'll be pretty busy..." My voice trailed.  

"Oh." He said defeated and was about to get in the car when I suddenly felt very clingy, 

"But I'm free Thursday!" He grinned, 

"Do you... uh... Wanna hang out or something?" My face lit up,

"I'd love to." I beamed and slid into the front seat. I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive I saw Ross do a fist pump before hopping in the back. Not sure what I got myself into, but if it involves him - I'm in.