Chapter 5: Records and Ross

Harper's POV

The next morning I was awoken by Autumn. She was still wearing her jeans from the day before, but was now in a bright green top.

"HARPER!!" she screamed from overtop of me, shaking my shoulders to get me up. "IT'S TODAY!" My eyes flew open.

"Oh my god, what time is it?" I yelled, springing up and sprinting to the bathroom to get ready.

"It's 9:15, you have exactly an hour. Breakfast is already made, shower is already running. Go, go, go!"

I flew into the bathroom and showered faster than ever. I threw on black skinny jeans, black boots, a white tee shirt, and a black blazer. Professionally punk. Autumn had her finest toaster waffles on the table that I practically inhaled before throwing my hair into a ponytail, grabbing my glasses, and dashing out the door. Why you may ask? Today was my first meeting with a major record label. In thirty minutes, I would be sitting in the office of Riley Stevens, an executive at DJ Records. While sitting on the crowded road, I was literally shaking in my boots.

I waited... And waited... And waited. So close, I could see the building! I was contemplating running until my phone rang.

"Hello?" I said in a much more perky way than I felt.

"Hey, it's Rocky."

"Oh... Hey Rocky! How'd you get my-" he cut me off,

"Riker gave it to me. Anyways, did Autumn say anything about me?" He said hastily.

"Uh, no." Secretly, I thought this was adorable. "I didn't get to talk to her much this morning, but she seemed pretty giddy." I heard him smiling while he talked,

"Alright, thanks H. Oh, and good luck today." Then he hung up.

How did he possibly know about my interview, I wondered. Then it hit me, this means that in one way or another, Ross had been talking about me. I grinned at the thought. Finally traffic started moving again and the neon DJ records sign illuminated the huge skyscraper that lie above me. Racing into the building with minutes to spare, I sprinted up the stairs and silently wondered how many calories I had burned today.

"Harper Wilde?" Said a smartly dressed woman waiting at the 5th flight of stairs.

"Yes ma'am?" I replied,

"Hi, I'm Riley Stevens and you are right on time." I breathed a sigh of relief.

Riley (or should I say Ms. Stevens) led me down a brightly lit and brightly colored hallway. Gold, silver, and platinum records lined the neon orange and green walls. Suddenly I felt very intimidated and very blinded.

Finally we reached a gigantic office. The walls were pale blue with little yellow accents along it and throughout the room. A considerable change in decor from the hallway. Ms. Stevens motioned for me to sit down in a futuristic-looking white chair, with spider-like silver legs. Finally I was able to look at her. She looked very much like what I imagine Cinderella as an executive would. Her cropped white-blonde hair, her kind eyes and unbelievably perfect smile all tied up in a business suit bow.

"Hello, Miss. Wilde." She began, taking her seat behind a massive desk. "I understand you want me to publish your music."

"Yes ma'am." I said nervously. She smiled softly,

"And why's that?" My eyes widened and I found myself stuttering, You can take the girl out of elementary school, but you can't take the elementary school habits out of the girl. Clearing my throat, I began,

"Well, music is a form of expression. It connects to people, changes mood, can make any moment magical. It connects to memories. One song can bring back a memory to destroy or make your mood. I want to play that song." Ms. Stevens smiled slyly and put her pencil back behind her ear.