Chapter 22: The Most Difficult Chapter

HARPER'S POV

It was the next day and I hadn't seen any of the Lynchs' since I kissed Ian. Right after it happened I raced home with no explaination. I assume Rocky told Ross that I got sick considering the text I recieved an hour after that said,

"Hope you feel better, love! Your guitar is still here, so you can drop by whenever you feel up to it. " From Ross. I can't imagine why Rocky didn't tell him what happened but he might be nursing a bit of a broken heart himself. I know I need to tell Ross, I just need some time.

I heard Autumn come home last night, but it was late and I hadn't left my room until this morning, and she was in her room. I texted Rocky and asked about what happened after they both left. but he never responded. I wouldn't blame him.

I'm working with Capitol all day today and I can't wait to see Ian and give him a piece of my mind. To tell him how much he ruined me, and how much I hate him. Tonight I have a performance for a group of potential investors in my work and have to be out late working, so I won't get the chance to see Ross at all. I was worried and relieved by this - I can't stand the thought of Rocky telling him instead of me.

I packed up my bag with a formal white dress for the performance, and found my new guitar sitting by the front door; I assume Autumn brought it with her yesterday. I switched out my old guitar with that one and drove to work alone.

I stepped into the upper offices and it was just like any normal day. Before anything else, I went to meet with Astrid in order to discuss my performances tonight, and some background info on these particular investors. When I walked in, the only person in the office was Ian.

"You flithy, disgusting, despicable dirtbag! What's wrong with you?!" I screamed as soon as I saw him. Ian backed away from me with his hands out in front of him.

"Whoa, Harper it's only --" He started, but I silenced him with my hand.

"No. It's not 'only' anything. That was absolutely not okay! You ruined my relationship, my best friend, and my freaking birthday! I knew you were low, but not that bad." I said, huffing angrily. I slumped down into a chair and glared at him.

"Look, H... I'm sorry." Ian said, "But you did kiss me back. If what I did was horrible, what you did was pretty bad too... I mean, for someone else... For me it was alright." He said sleazily. I opened my mouth to say something but words didn't come out. I wish I had a legitimate response, but he's right - I'm almost just as guilty. I sighed and looked up at him one more time. Ian just shrugged and went back to his work. Right then, Astrid walked by with a wide smile.

"Hello, dears!" She greeted us, "Ready for another day?" Ian and I both groaned and Astrid just frowned at us. "Oh come on, it's going to be fantastic! Harper, here's your set list for tonight and I hope you packed something a little more... presentable to wear?" She said, looking over my T-shirt and jeans. I nodded,

"Yeah, it's in my bag." My words came out much more quietly then I meant, but Astrid didn't seem to mind my unenthusiastic attitude. She didn't bring up my grouchiness for the rest of the day,

For the next 5 hours, I was in the studio. Normally this was my favorite thing to do, but today it felt repetitive and lonely. Ian was supervising the session and I hated looking out into the glass and seeing him; every time I did, my stomach knotted and I got sort of dizzy. My voice wasn't quite as projective and didn't have the same edge to it as normal. To be honest, I sounded more like a member of an elementary school church choir. Overall, it was a rough day.

FInally it was time to present to the investors. I pulled on my fancier outfit which contained a simple white pleated dress, a red leather jacket, red Converse high tops, and a striped bow (click the external to see the link on Polyvore!). I threw on some extra makeup to try to hide the purple circles forming under my eyes, and quickly tuned my guitar. I followed Jessie (the woman at the front desk) downstairs to the presentation room. They got me hooked up with a microphone and we did a quick sound check before the investors started piling in. All of them were wearing expensive suits and  even less adventurous ties. I couldn't help but be happy I had music so I would never end up in a suit everyday.