The Variable - Bucky Barnes x Reader, Avengers & Reader

ابدأ من البداية

"Then tell it so we can laugh about it!" Pietro enticed.

Your side of the table was on one conversation while the other side had an entirely different one going. Tony, Rhodey, Clint, Vision, Thor, and Bruce were talking about the mission you all were celebrating about, while the rest of you were talking about how you and Bucky first got together.

You felt a tap on your shoulder as you were laughing your ass off. Your head zipped around to see the man from earlier, and he had a suspicious smile on his face. "Hi, can I help you?" You asked, and you slowly saw Bucky tense up.

"I just wanted to thank you for being so polite earlier!" Rumlow told you, but you still didn't know it was him.

"Uh, you're welcome?" You were very confused by this interaction, but it was happening, and there didn't seem to be any getting out of it.

This strange man seemed to keep the awkward conversation going. He just kept going; he went on and on about how sweet it was of you to talk with him. "Can I buy you a drink?"

"You know, it's okay, I can buy my own drink," You told him. You also didn't trust him; he was acting a bit sketchy.

"Awe, come on, let me just-"

"What do you want? They said no, that means to accept it and leave them alone." Bucky grumbled at the man, "You should go before I make you go."

"Bucky," You looked at him. Bucky was one to get jealous quickly, and you knew that this man talking to you the way he was was grinding Bucky's gears, "Go to the bathroom and splash some water on your face; it'll help you calm down."

Bucky nodded. He knew how he got, but he couldn't help it. As much as he didn't want to be easily jealous, it was who he was, so Bucky got up and went over to the bathroom.

"Sorry about that-" You went to turn back to the man, but he was already gone. When you turned back to the group with a confused look, they had the same look too. "Did you see where he went?"

"No, I was watching you and Bucky," Steve said.

"Clint asked me a question," Natasha replied.

"I looked away for a single second. He vanished!" Wanda added.

You shrugged it off, not really caring what happened. But only a few seconds after that thought crossed your mind; he walked back over. No one noticed him since now the bar was packed, so it was harder even to spot your Bucky. Rumlow stood right next to your table but faced away from it. He reached his arm behind him and dropped the tablet full of the poison to kill you in to your drink. Rumlow smiled and started to walk away.

"What the hell do you think you're doing!?" Bucky shouted over the music, catching everyone's attention. Everyone, not just your small group, not as the whole Team, but every single person in the whole bar.

Rumlow turned around slowly when Bucky had his hand on his shoulder. "What are you talking about?"

"I saw you drop something in their drink!" Bucky shouted, his hand on Rumlow's arm. "What are you trying to do? Drug them to take advantage of-"

Bucky was cut off with a laugh from Rumlow. "No way would I ever want them!" Rumlow laughed.

"Then what are you trying to do? Kill them?" Bucky had such a tight grip on the man that he couldn't even begin to move. But when Bucky asked that, Rumlow smirked.

"Who are you working for?!" Bucky shouted. By now, most of the people not involved in this had made their way out of the bar.

Steve started to talk, thinking about everyone's well-being. "Wait, Bucky, we don't know if that what he was trying to-"

"It's poison," Bruce stated. Tony was holding your cup with his Iron Man hand, and Bruce had analyzed it with the help of his Starkerized glasses.

You looked up at the man and realized he looked a hell of a lot more familiar now. You stood up, shooing Bucky away. "Who do you work for?" You asked, you holding onto the neck of his shirt.

"I'm surprised you don't know," The man started, "I'm very well acquainted with your group here."

You smiled, "Reveal yourself, or I burn the disguise off. You obviously know what I can do, so you should be aware I'm also not afraid to use my abilities." Over the years, intimidating people got easier.

The man smirked and reached up to the side of his face. Quickly, his face pixilated and turned into the familiar face of Brock Rumlow.

You smiled when you saw him, "Good to see you again. Good to know you're still trying to kill me."

Rumlow nodded, "You're dangerous to our organization."

"That's why they call me a variable."

"We'll get to you one day," Rumlow continued pushing his luck.

"I would not challenge them; you must not know how powerful they can be," Thor chimed in.

"Yeah, they've been kicking ass lately," Rhodey smiled, "I applaud!"

You took a deep breath, "Can I knock him out?"

"Please do," Bucky nodded, and more nods were seen from the rest of the group.

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to do this," You smirked, lifted a fist, and punched him in the middle of the face. And with your strength, he was knocked out. You dropped him softly to the floor, "Someone get him out of my sight. I don't want him around here. Lock him up, kill him; I couldn't care any less what you do with him."

"On it," Tony said. Thor, Bruce, and Tony followed and flew him away from the bar, probably putting him in a prison.

Bucky walked over to you, "Are you okay?"

You smiled and snuck a kiss onto his lips, "Better than ever, especially since I'm not dead."

"Yeah, it's probably good you aren't dead," Natasha laughed.

The next day you visited Rumlow in his underground cell, the one chosen to find out information.

When you walked into the room, he looked up from where he was locked in the little cell box. He had a shit-eating smile on his face; he knew what was about to happen.

"We can do this the easy way," You said, and he laughed, "Or the hard way. Your choice."

Rumlow didn't speak but just kept that same look on his face. "You chose the hard way, I see," You smiled and held up your dominant hand, "Let's get on with it then," You started to make a fireball, ready to get all the information you needed. It probably wouldn't even take that long, either. Being The Variable, you also seemed to have the power of scaring the shit out of people into speaking. That was more of a badass skill, though.

"So tell me, why did you need me out of the way?" You spoke and had him talking in a few hours—a new record for a HYDRA agent.