Chances

Jensen's P.O.V.

"Yeah Jared what's up?" I asked as I tried to pound out one more mile on the treadmill. It was still early in the morning, but I had already been up for a couple of hours, getting in my normal work out.

"Did you hear the news? Our usual make up lady quit." Jared said, and I could hear water splashing in the background. I didn't have to be there to see what he was up to. He was probably in his pool, spending some much needed time with his boys before he joined me in Vancouver. In a way I wished I was down there, spending time with him on the lake, hanging with his kids who I considered my nephews. But the memories from down there were still too fresh, and I wasn't ready to face them yet.

"She did? But I loved her. She didn't try to make us look like painted whores." I said as I turned the treadmill off, taking a sip of my water. 

"Yeah, but I guess they've already found a replacement. She's from Seattle, and she's coming up today to sign her papers." Jared said, as you heard his kids squeal in the background.

"Well that's good." I answered, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Jared couldn't have just called to talk about our make up lady. Yeah we spent an hour in her chair each day, more if there was a fight involved, but we weren't exactly close or anything.

"So, I was thinking." Jared started, and I sighed, wishing he would just get to the point. "You haven't been back down here since the divorce. I was hoping you would come down this weekend. We could have a BBQ, hit up some of our favorite spots. The kids would love to see you."

There it was. The question I had been dreading. "Jared, I.." I started, trying to figure out a way to decline without sounding like a wimp.

"Listen, I know it will be tough for you. But maybe coming down here will be good for you. She's not here anymore, she moved back to California."

"Fine." I answered, surprising both Jared and myself. "I'll come down Friday, and we can fly back together Sunday. Sound good?"

"Great. I'm glad you said yes. But you better not be thinking of backing out. Gen's looking forward to this too." Jared said, and you could hear the excitement in his voice. "Listen I've got to go, Shep is trying to drown Thomas. Get an early Friday flight." 

With that he hung up, leaving me standing there, sweat still dripping down onto my plain gray t-shirt. Maybe this will be a good thing, I thought to myself as I went to the bathroom to clean up, and get ready for the day. I hadn't been back to Austin since that fateful day, and hopefully by going back I could let go of the ghosts still haunting me. Just the thought of it brought back the visions of finding her, in our bed, with our best friend Steve. She hadn't even seemed sorry, and I realized it had been going on for quite some time.

Without a fight, I had packed up and moved back up here to my apartment in Vancouver, full time. I missed it, Austin. And being able to go down there, and hang out with Jared's family. But I hadn't been able to force myself to go back yet, and it had already been six months. 

Stripping out of my clothes, I grew frustrated at myself, for letting her get to me, to ruin the things I used to love. I slid into the shower, letting the warm water beat away my insecurities, growing confident that going back was a good thing.

_______________________________________________________

After my quick shower, I dressed in a simple outfit of faded jeans and a henley. Picking a ball cap to complete my outfit, I let myself out of my apartment, planning on going and getting a present for Gen, as an apology for not being around.

Locking the door, I started walking down the hallway, pulling out my phone to check for messages. I wasn't paying any attention where I was going, never needing to because the person who lived on this floor was never here. As I quickly purchased a plane ticket for Friday, I felt something small, but solid run right into me. Almost dropping my phone, I was able to stabilize myself, and catch the girl before she tumbled to the ground.

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry." She apologized, her gaze on the ground, but I could still see that her cheeks were bright red. She was short, no taller than (your height) with her h/c hair falling gently around her face, blocking most of her features. She was wearing a loose fitting tank top, with a pair of shorts, her feet encased in a pair of converse. My hand stayed on her elbow, making sure she was alright.

"No, it was my fault. I was staring at my phone. Are you alright?" I asked her, and she tilted her head up, and I felt like a deer caught in the headlights. Her eyes were a bright and beautiful shade of _______. They were the most beautiful pair of eyes I had ever seen, and I found myself unable to speak, or do anything but stare into their depths. I watched as they widened in shock, her pert little mouth forming an O.

"It's you." She whispered, and I thought, of course. The first woman I've felt anything for since Danneel, and she's a fan. 

"Yeah, it's me. But are you alright?" I answered, finally letting go of her arm, my fingers aching to feel her soft skin once again.

"Listen, I'm fine. I'm just clumsy. But is there any way you can point me to Apartment 29C?" She asked, her voice smooth as silk.

"Yeah it's right there." I said, pointing to my right. That was the apartment that was always empty, except for once or twice a month. And then it was the same man, around my age, that stayed there. Maybe she was his girlfriend, I thought to myself, the thought disappointing me.

"Thanks. Listen I've got to go." She said, her eyes still wide as she walked past me, fumbling with the keys before opening the door. I stood there watching her, watching how easily she moved for someone she considered clumsy. She tossed one more look my direction, nervously biting her lip before shutting the door behind her.

Sighing, I made my way to the elevator, frustrated that I probably had no chance with her. She would probably be here for the weekend with her boyfriend, then gone and I would never see her again.

Your P.O.V.

Your heart beating fast, you slammed the door behind you, before sliding down it. You had finally had the chance to come check out your new apartment, and you run into Jensen. He was even more amazing up close, and you had grown tongue tied, embarrassed that you had literally ran straight into him. 

You hadn't imagined that your friend's apartment would be in the same apartment complex as his, let alone the same floor. You felt flustered, and confused, your arm still tingling from where his hand had grasped you. What would he think when he realized you were the new make up lady?