Chapter 14

Song of the chapter – Lullaby by Nickelback

Vote

Fan

Comment

(Hopefully this should be entered into the wattyawards 2013)

Chapter 14

The air was beautiful and surrounded the singing birds and happily cheerful children outside that woke the inhabitant of the house up far too early; Lizzy sat up and swung her legs off the bed tirelessly, as she had every day for the last two weeks after Juice had left and had not yet returned,  She just froze in a daze for a few minutes whist she re-evaluated her life and what it was worth as she glared upon the purple lumps and scars across her arms and wished how they could be a good luck symbol but nevertheless they were not.
She put the radio on and blasted the words of Nickelback that had helped her through each passing day and were becoming more of a mantra than anything, padding into the bathroom and leaving the door open.
“Yeah, I know the feeling,
of finding yourself stuck out on the ledge,
and there ain’t no reeling,
from cutting yourself with the jagged edge” she sang, her slim hand switched on the shower and let it douse her, the arctic temperature turning Luke warm before scolding her skin, her fingers tangled in the hair she was cleaning.

Elizabeth was immersed in her newly founded worry of getting through this funeral in one piece, she had come to deal with the terms of her mothers’ death and the outcomes and had handled it extremely well however there were still those odd moments that would render a perfect evocation of what used to be, or where she would pick up her mobile and try to call her, sometimes it helped, talking to the answering machine and hoping that one day they’d get through to Marla.
Her way of venting was to tattoo or draw, she’d called contractors and had planned trips towards getting supplies for her parlour but everything was used as a distraction and welcomed as it was.
She heard the front door click shut and as eager as she was she managed to step out of her shower the slowest she had ever moved, wrapping the small towel around her body and padding into the hallway.
“Hello?” She shouted with a gulp, feeling fresh and calmed despite the possible circumstances
“It’s-It’s just me”  Tara stepped out of the kitchen, It was a wonder Lizzy even forgave the couple but forgiving was easier than forgetting and knowing Marla and her strict rules of repentance this gave Lizzy hope and an excuse to say it was okay; Tara was comfortable around Lizzy and had spent many nights just the two of them with a bottle of wine and cried over their troubles as women did.

“Hey” Lizzy croaked with a smile, grabbing the ashtray next to Tara and lighting what was left of the joint that calmed her, a tradition she’d grew into with Tara.
“Where’s the kids?” Lizzy asked, sighing happily at the effects of the therapeutic drug
“We found a sitter for today, are you sure you’re okay?” The woman replied, taking a few draws off before passing it back to Lizzy
“Yeah, I’m getting a tattoo done later for her, she always did like the design more than anything she’d ever seen” She blew rings in the smoke that escaped her mouth,
“I’m here if you need me” Tara whispered, the room suddenly went eerily quiet, the music had turned off a while ago now.
“I know” She sighed, suddenly a belch erupted in her stomach and a jerk and Lizzy was sent running for her sink, displaying her intake of food or lack thereof
“And you say you’re fine” Tara walked over, holding her hair.
“When was the last time you ate?” She asked with a curious glance.
“Last night, I can’t stop” She chuckled, wiping her mouth and feeling a little more relaxed.

They both put it down to the nervousness and the wreck she was being or had been and returned to their prior spots against the counter when the phone rang; Lizzy hoped it was Juice with her entire heart but there had been no contact between them since he’d walked out.
“Hel-lo?” She asked still croaking
“Lizzy?” The voice interrupted her
“Who is this?” She asked, tired and rubbing her hand on her forehead, becoming angered with the amount of calls she was receiving.
“It’s..Uncle Louis” He sniffed, her body went stiff with anger and atrocity, her first instinct was to put the phone down but she instead let him ramble on his sorries.
“Don’t come today, for your own good” she finally managed to hiss dramatically hiss before smashing the phone into the stand and growling.