Chapter 6

Song of the day – Home – Gabrielle Aplin

Vote

Fan

Comment

Chapter 6

Lizzy was still unable to sleep after two nights of insomnia even though she was with her mother, in the safest place she could be, she couldn’t help but realise that maybe they weren’t as safe as she had hoped, Marla was weak and unable to hold her daughter in her arms due to the pain that shot through her body each time she even raised them, she managed and refused to let the illness know that it was winning, Lizzy knew the medication had stopped working and the woman she loved more than anything was deteriorating fast, Her weight was dropping off unhealthily and her healthy glow was eradicating.
“Hey mom” She whispered to her mother that hobbled into the small kitchen of the bottom floor apartment, Lizzy sat in her PJ shorts and striped jumper, her knees were curled up against her chest and her arms rested atop of them, holding her hundredth scolding cup of coffee to her chapped lips, her small feet just holding up the rest of her body on the sturdy wooden chair
“Couldn’t sleep, honey?” Marla stroked the messy bun on her daughters head
“No, I can’t keep him off my mind” Lizzy leant her head into her mother’s hand, staring out of the window to peer at the patting rain that bounced off of the road outside.

Marla sighed, grabbing a mug from the rack on the edge of the bench and sat down on the chair next to Lizzy
“It’ll be fine, if you’re meant to be together then you’ll be together” she placed her hand over the coffee pot next to Lizzy and filled her cup to the top, as much as she tried to hide her infatuation with Juice from her mother she never succeeded and now Lizzy had told all about Juice other than the secrets he’d told her, Marla knew that she had to accept the ‘thug’ in her terms for her daughters sake.
“I’m going to call him when I get back” Elizabeth looked into the bottom of her half empty mug before sighing deeply and standing up to retrieve the ringing phone on the cabinet behind her
“Hey, Sal” Lizzy spoke into the receiver, speaking to Marla’s best friend
‘Hey Lizzy, is everything okay over there?’ the woman replied back with a gravelly and what seemed to be a ‘sexy’ toned voice
“Yes, I’m with my mom just about to go home, Why? What’s up?” She replied with curiosity
‘Oh sweetie, the home invasions have hit again, I got hit especially so I was just checking up to see if you and Marla were okay’ Sal retorted, in the back of Lizzy’s mind she was worried sick, she wasn’t at home so what if everything was wrecked, what if they’d found her safe? But she was always that type of person that had an ‘it’ll never happen to me’ attitude.

“Oh god, I’m so sorry we’re fine yea, I’ll put my her on” Lizzy felt sorrow for Sally but at the same time it was all sympathetic emptiness, Sal had no family and nothing worth keeping, to others they would hate having such things stolen but to Sal it was all modern age technology that she didn’t know how to work, she didn’t care to much that she was robbed in all honesty.
Lizzy handed her mother the little silver device .
“I’m getting in the shower” Lizzy mouthed as she turned to look at her tired mother that appeared to be rubbing her forehead with her fingers, mumbling into the receiver
“Mom, are you okay?” She asked, leaning against the doorframe and peering at her mother through worried eyes infused with sleep.
“Yes, I just need some aspirin” Marla massaged her temples, coughing a little in discomfort before stifling a ‘yes, yes’ to Sal
“Mom” she sighed like a huffing teenager, worrying.
“Elizabeth Maria Martinez! Do not use that tone with me, I’m a grown woman...I think I can handle a headache” She snapped at her daughter, using the usage of her full name to express dominance.
Lizzy sighed, holding her small hands up in surrender and backing out of the room and into the hallway.

She leant against the wall and eavesdropped to the continuing the conversation, trying to find out what was up with her mother, maybe even find out why the real reason Sal was calling because as much as she sounded concerned, Sal didn’t worry about anybody.
“I don’t know, it’s costing too much so it may as well be used for something useful instead of what I’m spending it on...I don’t NEED it” Marla spoke down the receiver, a small and mechanical voice squealed down the speaker and echoed into the hallway, a slapping sound and a bark of elderly laughter hit the table
“That’s something I do need” Lizzy’s mother cackled, as soon as Lizzy realised there was nothing to listen to her mind wandered elsewhere, the one thing she hated was the fact that she was thinking like a desperate woman, maybe if she had sex with Juice then maybe he wouldn’t go elsewhere like Ima yet she wasn’t willing to do anything without a relationship, she thought of it all as she undressed and stepped into the tub, letting the running water surround her body.
These were the thoughts of a broken relationship not a beginning one.