Ch. 9: No Lenny But My Mom

After taking all the birthday stuff off my locker, I ask Fauna has she seen Lenny. She said no and so did everyone else. How rude? First he rejects my love for him and then doesn't come to school on my birthday. He must be really disgusted.

All during 1st period, all I could think of was Lenny. Why didn't he come to school on my birthday. I wanted to cry. That really hurt my feelings. But, oh well.

During lunch, the cheerleaders got on stage and did a mini-cheer for me. It was so cute. I stood up and clapped. But I really wasn't focused because I was still hoping Lenny would come to school. Fauna noticed that I was in a daze. She pulled me to the side after lunch. "What's wrong? You seem sad and it's your birthday" she asked grabbing my shoulders. I didn't wanna look her in her eyes because she was right. I was sad. She dragged me into the bathroom and said "I'm serious, Liz. What's wrong?" She asked with an angry expression "Well.. I'm kinda pissed that Lenny didn't come to school on my birthday." I started crying. She hugged me tight. She must have felt how hurt I was. When she let go of me, she was crying too. "Why are you crying?" I asked her. I felt bad making her cry for no reason. She didn't answer me. She grabbed some paper towels and wiped her face. Then she handed me some to wipe mines.

When we came out the bathroom, we were 20 minutes late for 6th period. Ms.Cadwell was a little mad that we were late. But, so what?

After school, Fauna, Frankie, and Quincy walked me home. But we stopped at Starbucks. When I got home my dad was waiting for me with something behind his back. "Whatcha got there" I asked him, pointing to his back. He revealed it. It was a special edition Tony Hawk skateboard. I jumped up and down. I had been asking for one since I was 12.

"Thank you, dad!" I kissed him on the cheek. I had never done that before. It felt weird. "You're welcome, pumpkin. Now get dressed. We are going out to meet someone" he said to me. "Who?" I asked. My dad didn't really take me around his friends and family. "Just get dressed." He shoved me up the stairs. I didn't know who we were meeting so I didn't wanna dress all fancy. I put on some light blue skinny jeans and a white polo shirt. I think I looked pretty decent.

I went down stairs and my dad had changed too. He had a white button down shirt, black slacks and black dress shoes . He had even shaved! Whoever we were meeting, must be important. "Damn. You look nice!" I said to my dad. He let out a hardy laugh and we walked out.

We were in the car for a good 10 minutes in silence; except for the music playing. We pulled up to some Italian restaurant.

My dad had a reservation so we were seated immediately. I ordered a spaghetti and lemon water. My dad ordered some Italian pasta and some type of red wine.

A lady walked up to our table, but she wasn't the waitress. She wore a sleeveless purple dress with a bow around the waist and black high heels. She had long, silky black hair and greenish-hazel like eyes. She looked like... me.

"Hello, sweetie"

"Who are you?"

"I'm your mother"