16: Saving Stiles

Start from the beginning

"It just broke my heart seeing him like that..."  I comment. Mom hums in  agreement. We stay in the hug for several minutes before Mom finally pulls away. "Well, I have to get ready for work. Are you going to be okay?" Mom asks me. I give her a small nod and a smile. "Okay." Mom whispers, patting my shoulder as she leaves. I lean my head down on the table. I can't help but think of all the memories and fun I have shared with Stiles over the years. That couldn't end now. I've already lost someone I cared about. I am not about to lose another. I sigh as I close my eyes and fall into a light sleep on the table.

~~~

The next day at about 9:00am, Deaton rings me. "Hello?" I ask wearily into the phone.

"Hi, Scott. I thought I should ring you before anyone else." Deaton begins. My heart plummets and the phone starts  shaking in my hand. "What is it?" I ask, trying to prepare for the worst.

"It wasn't easy, but I created a cure. I immediately injected it into Stiles and he already looks like he is doing so much better. Stiles may still be sick at the moment, but he's healing. He's going to be okay. It will probably take him a couple of days to fully recover." Deaton answers, surprising me a bit. My heart rate picks up with hope and my hands stop shaking. "Really? Can I see him?" I ask in excitement.

"Yes, you may come and visit him. Try not to get him too excited, okay? He needs to have lots of rest and feel calm." Deaton replies. "Don't worry, I'll keep him under control." I grin. As I end the call, I laugh and lay back on my bed, smiling up at the ceiling. I'm just so relieved that Stiles is okay. I rub a hand down my face. I've been feeling so stressed since the night Stiles' dad was taken. It's good that some of it has been finally lifted off my chest. After a moment, I get up, grab my phone off the bed and grab the keys for my motorbike. I walk outside of the house and jump on my motorbike. I start the engine and drive towards Deaton's as quickly as possible. Once I get there, I park the bike and rush inside. I see that a back room door is open, so I run inside without hesitation. I see Deaton reading some books on the far side of the room while Stiles still lays on the metal bench. I race over to the bench, my heart pounding. I look down at Stiles to see him awake. I breathe a sigh of relief. I grab a chair and sit down beside Stiles. "I'll be out the front." Deaton informs us as he leaves the room. Once he's gone, I turn my attention back to Stiles. My own breathing becomes wobbly. I'm afraid I might start crying again, but I fight the feeling back by biting my lip. Stiles moves his head so he can look over at me. There are dark and heavy bags under Stiles' eyes, which are bloodshot. I feel tired just by looking at him.

Stiles starts to smile at me. "Hey, Stiles. I came to see how you were doing." I greet him. He nods in return. I suddenly take in the rest of his appearance. Black blood, both fresh and dry, cake his face, arms and chest. His skin is still extremely pale and covered in sweat. "I... I thought I lost you!" I continue, my voice cracking slightly. I breathe more quickly as tears start to swell in my eyes. After one more moment of looking at Stiles, I decide to get up. I grab a box of tissues from a counter and walk back over to Stiles. I lean over him and wipe the fresh blood off his face. I try to scrub off the dried blood off, but it doesn't do much. I continue wiping off all the fresh black blood from his body until it's all gone. I toss the used tissues into the bin. I then sit down next to Stiles again. He still looks like he has dived into a pool of black paint. The only way that the rest of goo will go away is if Stiles takes a shower. "Have you stopped coughing up blood?" I ask Stiles curiously. He nods in answer. Maybe his throat is still sore? "I couldn't imagine what that must feel like, always throwing up that thick substance. It'd be a nightmare, I know that much." I admit.