Chapter Thirty Seven

Eddie remained in the hospital for five days. The doctor tried his best to help get Eddie back on a regular bowel program, but the trauma still had it such that she was having accidents. Henry and Jamie both assured her not to worry about it that as she healed it would stop.

Jamie brought her home the afternoon of her discharge, "I think you need to go right to bed and rest. I have never seen someone come out of the hospital well rested and you having a revolving door there didn't help."

"I'm fine Jamie, all I did in there was sleep," Eddie sighed at his fussing over her even though it was his way of showing he cared.

Jamie helped her inside into a sitting position on the couch. "There do you need anything?"

"Well I could eat," Eddie couldn't help but tease him. Jamie only laughed offering a soft pat to her shoulder going to make lunch.

"You're still on soft foods," Jamie sighed. "What about tuna on untoasted bread?"

"Sound good," Eddie replied. "Jamie, can we talk a minute?"

"Sure," Jamie replied stirring the tuna and his special mix of ingredients.

"It's about John and...Jamie you really seem to resent him being around. I know you're feeling protective, but he is a very nice man. I do want to have him around to visit me while I get better and I want to go out with him again. He's willing to learn Jamie, he wants to learn how to take care of me!"

"It's not easy to do, Eddie. John's got impaired movement too."

"I know, but Jamie, honesty do you think I can live here the rest of my life. You and Sydney need to get back to normal, if things work with John, if we can be friends..."

"Eddie, that's not a reason to try to be friend or to jump into a relationship," Jamie sighed bring the tuna. "I'm going to feed you...

"No, I can feed myself. I have to get my strength back," Eddie insisted. "There are things I'm not up for yet, like transferring that I need you and Sydney to help with."

Jamie deferred to Eddie and started to eat his sandwich as she worked on her tuna and small cuts of bread. Jamie turned on the TV and watched reruns of Mr. Ed with Eddie. She kept laughing out loud, dropping her had back. She was so pretty, "Eddie, I like that you want to get out and have fun, I do. I'm nervous that you are going to get hurt."

"I know you are," Eddie replied gently. "And maybe you are a little jealous too."

"Jealous?" Jamie looked a little surprised.

"Yes, jealous," Eddie replied. 'Since I got hurt you and Sydney were the ones I looked to, the ones I leaned on, then Henry, but he was still part of the family. Now there is someone else that might be able to take care of me, and I think that scares you more than my getting hurt."

"That's silly, it's your getting hurt or sick I dread," Jamie assured her. "But if you want me to back off I will. Can't make promises for Pop. He's made me promise to speak to you about not going out with John again until he's come to dinner."

Eddie blushed, "All right, I won't go out with him again until he's been properly vetted. He's going to call me in a few hours but for now...I'm really tired, can we do what we have to so I can have a rest?"

Jamie nodded and helped Eddie with the bathroom then put her in bed. She was asleep a few seconds after being laid in the bed.

Jamie went about his day as Eddie rested waiting for her cell phone to go off announcing John's call. It did just after three, Jamie sighed. He would have to accept this, if he didn't wish to upset Eddie. Jamie and Sydney had just talked about possibly trying for a family after the New Year, perhaps it would be best if Eddie found someone too."