Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

The morning shift of the Spinal Institute snapped to full attention the next morning when the Commissioner of the New York Police Department stepped out of the elevator accompanied by his vast security detail.

Frank graciously greeted the nurses and the doctor he saw on the floor before finding and turning into Eddie's room. He found a rather beleaguered young nurse attempting to feed the wayward officer. "Office Janko," Frank said in a firm tone. "This young lady is offering you an excellent looking meal, it would be polite to sample it at least."

"I'm not hungry," Eddie replied. "And in case you didn't realize it, I'm no longer an NYPD officer."

"Actually," Frank replied stepping further into the room. "You are still on sick leave, which means you are a member of the NYPD and that you should obey the orders of your commissioner. The first of those is to eat that wonderful breakfast."

Frank sat down and took out his newspaper, and began to read pleased if not surprised when Eddie began cooperate with her nurse. She ate a little more than half of her meal before stating she was full.

The nurse cleaned Eddie up and left her with Frank. "So...I hear you've been turning away everyone even Jamie...and your therapists." At Eddie's surprised expression, Frank offered, "Syd called me last night. She and Jamie are worried about you, the whole family is. Everyone at the 12th, Pop...Sean and Jack are asking about you. What do you say we call your therapist, you get a good massage, then we'll get a nurse to put you in a chair and we'll go for a stroll, you and me. I have a surprise for you."

Eddie sighed, "I appreciate your coming but..."

"No buts," Frank replied. "You need to take good care of yourself and that starts with therapy and ends with taking a walk. You are not just one of my cops, you're one of my family. Your Dad made me give him my word I'd take care of you because he can't."

Eddie sighed, "I can't win this one, but I don't want to see Jamie so if he's the surprise..." Frank winked at Eddie and smiled. "Oh, better than that..."

Frank conducted business while the nurses gave Eddie a bath, the therapist administered her massage and began to work on releasing her contorted muscles. It would take days of hard work to get her back to where she was before. Finally, two nurses supervised as Eddie was wrapped in hoyer lift and mechanically moved to her wheelchair. "She's ready for you sir," the nurse told Frank.

They dressed Eddie in a pair of loose sweats and the NYPD sweatshirt Jamie had brought for her to put on for therapy. Frank smiled and stood behind Eddie's chair gently pushing it forward. "Close your eyes," Frank instructed as he pushed the chair outside. "Just take a few good breaths...what do you smell? What do you hear?"

"I smell burnt coffee, some dog crap, garbage, hot pretzels roasting...it smells like we're outside...and we are because I hear cab driver's yelling, horns honking, the wind rustling..." '

"Okay, open up," Frank said smiling as he parked Eddie's chair near a picnic table that he asked his detail to set up. "We are outside...and you identified so many things that are unique to New York, the smells, the sounds that make this wonderful, beautiful, smoggy, sometimes filthy place home. You have all of this to live for, Eddie. This wonderful place, the people..." Frank reached into a bag on the table. "This jumbo sized hot New York street pretzel with mustard and a 20 ounce root beer..." Frank put a straw in the cup and held it out to Eddie so she could drink.

"Oh, that is so good," she smiled tasting her favorite beverage for the first time in a long time. Jamie hadn't brought her those kinds of snacks. Frank broke off a piece of pretzel, dipped it, and offered it to Eddie. She ate it slowly, taking each bite he offered, just like she had with Henry. "You don't want to die, Sweetheart. No one who can find pleasure in the sights, smells, tastes, sounds of New York City wants to die. You're scared, you're angry, you're right to be those things, but you aren't a quitter, so why are you giving up?"