[8] smackle in the face

Farkle

"I'm sorry. We need to break up."

The words stung. "But, why, Smackle?"

She looked at the ground. "Honey, you like Riley Matthews."

"What?" I cried aloud, but sank deeper into my chair.

She placed a hand on my shoulder. "I see the way you look at her, the way you act. I am your friend now, not your arch-nemesis. But, we cannot be together."

"Smackle, I used to like her. I like you now."

"Deep down, you still love her. You just have to re-find that love. Go!"

She sent me out of the café. What was I gonna do? I was shaking. I was sad. Smackle doesn't love me, I don't think I love Riley.

-

Riley

Tap tap tap

I hopped up off my bed and slid open my bay window.

"Farkle! What in the world are you doing here? It's 10 pm!"

He grinned, "I wanted to talk to you."

"Okay," I chuckled. I sat down by him on the bay window.

He looked at his hands. I grabbed them, and he looked up at me. "Smackle broke up with me."

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Farkle!" I pulled him into a tight hug and he wrapped his arms around me. "What happened?"

He let go of our embrace and he smiled, "She thinks I love you."

I stood up, "What?"

"I told her that we are very close friends." He didn't finish the rest she said, he wanted to figure that out for himself.

"I'm so sorry," I said, pacing. "It's all my fault."

He grabbed me and pulled me closer to him. He looked deep into my eyes. "It's not your fault, Riles."

With that, he left. He left me thinking about how he pulled me close and looked into my eyes. Wow, I thought.

-

Maya

Riley was sleeping on her bay window when I climbed through. "Hey, Honey."

She looked up at me. "Hi."

I giggled, "Why are you sleeping on here? Did you even sleep much last night? You look exhausted."

She twiddled her thumbs together and grinned. "I wanna tell you something. But, you have to promise not to interrupt me until I'm through."

"Promise." I winked at her.

"Well, last night Farkle came at ten pm and told me him and Smackle broke up because she thinks he loves me. He said he told her we are just friends but I started to feel bad. So I told him it was all my fault. He pulled me in close and looked into my eyes and told me it wasn't my fault and then left. I'm freaking out because I think I love Farkle! I've been up almost all not thinking and I finally fell asleep about three am."

"Ooh! Finally I can breathe! This is so exciting! Finally! I've waited so long!"

"What do I do?"

"Go tell him."

"Isn't it too soon?"

"It was just a Smackle in the face."