[7] puddles

Riley

I could hear the clock ticking and the rain pounding on the roof. My dad was lecturing us on feelings. It was our last class of the day.

The bell finally rang, and everyone jumped for joy. I grabbed my backpack and started for the door. Maya and Lucas were going out to eat, then she'd come to my house about three. Someone grabbed my arm when I was walking out. Farkle.

-

Farkle

She jumped and turned around. "Oh, hey, what do you want?"

"Just come with me." I told her, heading to the schools exit.

"But, where are we going?"

"Just. Trust. Me."

We ran outside and I jumped in one of the puddles. Riley loves rain.

"Farkle! You brought me to jump in puddles?" She laughed.

"Yes, what do you think?"

"I love it!"

We ran around splashing each other in the after-storm calmness.

Riley stopped and pointed to the sky, "A rainbow."

I smiled at Riley. She looks so cute, with water trickling down her nose from where I splashed her.

-

Riley

All of a sudden, thunder boomed and the sky turned dark again.

"Oh no!" I cried.

Farkle grabbed my hand and pulled me under a pavilion for shelter.

We stood there for a good twenty minutes, waiting it out. Then, I realized. He was still holding my hand.

"Uh Farkle," I began.

"Yeah, Riles?"

"Why are you still holding my hand?"

He looked down quickly and then looked at me, smirking. "I'm not sure. I think I like it."

I giggled, but then remembered his girlfriend. "Isadora Smackle."

"Oh, right." He said, chuckling.

I checked my phone. 3:20pm. "Oh no! Maya has been at my house for twenty minutes. I gotta go! Let's just run in the rain." And we did.

-

I finally ran inside and went straight to my bedroom. Maya was sitting on my bay window. She spun her head around to see me drenched in rain.

"Honey, what happened?" She laughed under her breathe.

I smiled ear to ear, "I've been playing in puddles with Farkle."

Her eyes widened, "Yes!"

"Maya, before you go all crazy, it was just two friends hanging out, playing in puddles."

She rolled her eyes, "Riley! How did you guys end up in puddles? Nothing else happened?"

I grinned. "When I was leaving, he grabbed my arm and told me to come with him and to trust him. I did and we played in puddles for like two hours. The rain was over, we thought. It started pouring and he grabbed my hand and pulled me to a pavilion.-"

She cut me off again, "He grabbed your hand!?"

"Yes, now let me finish. We stood for twenty minutes talking and waiting out the rain. Then I realized he was still holding my hand!"

Maya screamed but covered her own mouth. "Go on," she said.

"I asked him why, and he said he didn't know, but he liked it."

"See, Riles!" She sputtered.

"But I reminded him of Smackle. And he agreed. I don't feel that way for him, Maya. I never have."

"Just wait and see, Honey. Just wait. I didn't like Lucas, I thought. I do though. Farkle has always been here."

"I know."