Jumped and basketball

Bunny

My feet slapped against the pavement alongside Pony's as we ran to the lot. I wasn't sure where we were going or what we were doing, but I wasn't going to let Pony do it alone.

Everything was happening quickly, Johnny barely having any time to register what was happening when Pony had fell beside him, "Come on, Johnny we're running away." We had made it all the the way to the park when we finally stopped and climbed up on the jungle gym.

"You got a smoke Johnny?" Pony asked, Johnny handed me and Pony a cigarette with his light beside them.

"So what happened?" Johnny looked between the both of us, "you guys are scaring me."

"Darry hit me. We used to get along fine 'till Ma and Pa died. Now he hates me." Pony ran a hand through his hair, his voice shaking. I didn't say anything, even though I knew it wasn't true. I knew Pony needed to vent.

I saw a blue mustang creep down the road. "Bet they're looking for us." Johnny said, eyeing the car.

"Stay here I'll run home and get help. Don't do anything okay? You guys promise?" I said looking at them. They nodded and I jumped down, sprinting the fastest I ever had. I didn't know what was going to happen, but it didn't feel good.

"Darry! Soda! Pony and Johnny are in trouble, help!" I basically screeched, not even coming inside all the way.

The two jumped up, following me out the door wordlessly, when we got there Johnny was on the ground, his hand wavering over his back pocket,  Socs were dunking Pony in the fountain.

"JOHNNY, NO!" I yelled.

The scared boy jerked his head back and looked at me, even being a ways away I could basically see the relief in his eyes.

Darry and Soda got ahold of the socs dunking Pony and pummeled them, after that they ran and we got Pony and Johnny home.

Johnny laid on the couch and instantly fell asleep, I felt like shit, Johnny could never catch a break.

"Pony take a hot shower and then get in bed," Darry said, I stared him down, waiting for what needed to happen.

"And I'm sorry about hitting you." Darry avoided eye contact and Pony patted his shoulder and then made his way to the bathroom.

My head was spinning as I laid in bed and forced myself to fall asleep.

✶Next Morning✶

Waking up the next morning I still felt like everything that had happened the previous nights was a fever dream. It was 6:45 and I had already gotten ready for the day. I shoved my feet into my shoes and slid my jean jacket over my arms.

"I'm leaving! Coach wants us to practice and Darry, we have a game at 3 right after school. You guys will be there right?" I asked standing in the kitchen looking at Darry and Soda.

They both nodded and smiled. "We never miss a game, now go." Darry nodded to the door. I left the house and walked to school alone, which was risky, but I ended up being fine.

————

"Okay last play for practice. I don't know if we will play it in the game, but I want Special." Coach G yelled. I was point and the other girls were in a defense position even though the play was offense. I went around Amber, who was on left wing, threw to the left block, ran to the free throw line, got the ball and made the basket, special but simple.

"Okay get to the middle!" Coach G shouted. We ran to the middle of the court meeting Coach there.

Coach G was my favorite coach in the school and I was thankful that he happened to be mine. He looked around at all of us then said, "Nice practice ladies. I wanna see that in the game, now go change and get to class!" he yelled.

Coach G was from our side of town, but leaned more to the middle class. He didn't feed into the Greaser and Soc rivalry and didn't treat me any different on the basketball team. He was the only reason I played for school.

I changed and went to my first class. Math, my worst subject.

"Bunny pay attention!" the teacher scolded me. "Sorry Mrs. Brown." I said and looked down at my book pretending to pay attention.

—-

"All GIRL HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL PLAYERS GO TO THE GYM!" the intercom announced.

We got to the locker room and changed into our jerseys. My number is 01 then with C on it for Captain. We ran on the court while I looked for the gang.

I saw them at the bottom of the middle row, cheering like normal. I had been waiting for this game since the beginning of the season. If we won, we'd go to championship that would be held at our gym.

We did our layups, free throws, star drill and other warmups. Then it was time to play the game.

"Okay I want Bunny, Lilly, Jane, Andrea, and Tatum out first. Bunny, you are gonna jump the ball. Let them get it first. Then get in 12, get the ball, and then do Oklahoma for offense. Got it?" he looked around at all of us, we nodded. "Okay faith on three. 1. 2. 3. FAITH!" we yelled.

We got in position, they got the ball, and we ran to 12. The shot went up and Lilly got the rebound. She bounce passed the ball to me and I sprinted down the court. I made a layup and that's pretty much how the first three periods went.

——

It was the last period with three seconds left on the clock. We were tied 30 to 30.

It was the other teams ball. One girl threw it up and it hit the backboard.

I rebounded it and took off, my heart pounding in my chest. The crowd chanting down from five rung in my ears. I chunked the ball at the basket from the three point line and my mouth went numb.

The crowds volume dropped and I fell to my knees. The swish rang through the air along with buzzer. The breath I was holding left my lungs and happy tears stung my eyes.

The crowd went wild. My team, the gang, and most the school came to where I was standing and gave me a group hug. Everyone was yelling and I was lifted on two people's shoulders. "Well it looks like we are going to the championships!" I yelled.

I look around the gym to see everyone standing and screaming. I was smiling ear to ear. I was put down and the team ran to the locker room. We were all calmed down when Coach came in. "Okay championships is next week on Tuesday in this gym, okay?" he asked. We nodded, he told us good job, gave us a little speech, and then left.

We all got changed and left. When I walked out everyone cheered, I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off my face.

I felt normal for once. Like I wasn't being stared at for being a greaser, but we were all just normal. I didn't feel like I was the girl with dead parents or who was only known for her brothers, but just a girl with a love for basketball.

I met the gang in front of the gym where they all were smiling widely.

"Way to play. You did amazing!" Soda yelled shaking my shoulders, I laughed and everyone patted my back and said good job. It was a joyful walk home, halfway there we were stopped by the Shepherd brothers.

"Hey Girl Curtis! You played a good game tonight! We should go get dinner sometime," Curly said grinning and winking at me, before Tim nodded at us and drug him down the street.

I looked around at the gang in shock, "I never thought I'd hear that from Curly Shepherd."

~~~~~~~~~~~<<<<<<<<<<<<<~~~

Sorry this is a terrible chapter. (austyn was here teehee😝) (go follow me and read my burn book #promo)