Wilt (Russia)

I've actually submitted this a year ago but decided to edit it before posting it again. It used to be written in third person but I've changed it into second. Enjoy :3

***

wilt

v.

: to lose strength, vigor, assurance, etc. (dictionary.com)

Ivan taps his foot impatiently on the floor, his elbows on his knees and his mouth hidden resting on his knuckles.

"Ivan, what do you think?"

He's been sitting on the same white plastic chair for five hours straight, waiting. He couldn't care less about the fact that he hasn't eaten anything since yesterday evening nor the fact that he hasn't had any decent sleep for a week because of work.

"Do you like my new dress?"

Right now all that matters is you, nothing else.

"I tried to match their shades—now I look more like your sunflowers"

He doesn't know why or how any of it could have happened. You were so lively and healthy a week ago. Your smile never faltered. Not yesterday nor the night before you collapsed.

"You look lovely, sunflower" Ivan smiles and kisses you before leading you inside the restaurant for your three-year anniversary. The waiter greets the both of you with a bow and shows you the table which is in a separate room divided from the rest of the restaurant by a glass wall.

"Mishka, you have bags under your eyes" You say as you sit down.

"Your Russian is improving" Ivan tries to ignore the concern in your voice and covers it all with a smile. However, you just raise an eyebrow at him. He sighs, giving in. He raises his hands in defeat, "You're right, I'm sorry. It's just that the paperwork and all..."

You nod your head understandingly, "I get it. But don't tire yourself"

"I know, you always remind me that"

"And I won't ever stop, so you better drill it inside your head" You joke.

"...I know"

You are given their menus and after some thinking, finally tell the waiter your orders.

"But seriously though" You say, putting down the glass of water, "If you need any help with your paperwork just say so. I mean if it's just stapling or whatever I think I can handle it"

Ivan giggles with you but you give him a serious face shortly after, "... If there's something bothering you, I'm right here you know. I don't want you to be the kind of guy who hides everything behind a smile"

You take his hand and he puts his free one on top of yours, squeezing it lightly.

"If you don't want to show everybody else then show me. I'll stay quiet and listen for as long as needed"

"
Thank you, sunflower" Ivan leans over the table and brushes his lips on your forehead.

"
You're welcome" You reply with a small smile.

Ivan pulls out something from the inside pocket of his suit's blazer which has been wrinkled by last night's events. He opens the black velvet box and pulls out a Harry Winston sunflower ring. He stares at it for a while, and everything rushes back inside his mind once again.

"Hey, you still haven't eaten your food" You look at the untouched plate before your boyfriend who has been watching you as you ate your meal.

"Sweetie?"

"Huh?" The Russian blinks a couple of times, "Oh, sorry"

"What is it? Are you okay?" Your face is an open book with all the emotions so obvious. But that's one of the things Ivan loves about you. You never hide your feelings. Or maybe you do but fail miserably at it.

"Da, da..." Ivan mutters, standing up from his chair and walking over to you. He reaches for your hand and gently nudges you, telling you to stand up, which you do.

He leads you to the balcony where you can admire the bright lights of Moscow.

"I haven't said this yet so... Happy anniversary, sunflower" He gives you a wide smile.

You laugh at his cuteness and try to repeat the Russian phrase, but with noticeable strain, "Happy anniversary"

Even on your heels you can't reach him so you quickly tug his tie, "You are too tall for my own good"

He chuckles and bends down, not letting go of your hands. However, Ivan feels your lips part from his just as quickly as they came.

His purple eyes widen as everything goes in slow motion. Your knees bend and your fingers untangle themselves from Ivan's. That slow motion doesn't last very long as Ivan immediately acts and catches your back and head.

"Ivan..." He hears your weak voice call his name.

"Ivan"

"Ivan!" The Russian snaps out of his trance and lifts up his head to find his sisters standing before him with worried looks.

He stands up from his seat and runs inside the ER. The doctors and nurses welcome him with a pregnant silence. The room is completely quiet save for the rhythmic beating of the heart monitor connected to you who is lying unconscious on the bed.

The tall man walks over to your sleeping form and picks up your left hand. He kisses the palm and holds it to his cheek but his face remains stoic, not a tear leaves his eyes.

The beeping of the monitor starts to change, and Ivan bends over to place a gentle kiss on his lover's forehead. As if on cue, the line on the monitor flattens.

Ivan glances at the staff and his sisters, silently asking them to leave. One of the doctors swiftly turns off the heart monitor before joining the others outside.

Ivan turns his attention back to you and stares at your peaceful face sadly, "Sweet dreams, sunflower"

***

This was based on the first few scenes of John with his wife from John Wick. I find their unexploredlove story beautiful. Their relationship is one of the inspirations for Beyond the Crosshair.