Chapter 31: Dinners, Pools & Justin Bieber

// August 16, 2012 //
- Payton -

"Hi Scooter! Hi Justin," I smile, giving them hugs before we sit down at the table. Since we were all in L.A, Scooter had decided that we would have dinner together at a nice restaurant ... so they picked Chilli's of all places. To be honest, I don't consider this place to be one of the nicer restaurants. Anyway, we got together to discuss my role on the Believe tour - as I was to join them for the first 3 months, then come back in the summer.

"How have you guys been?" I ask, taking a quick sip of water. I'm also doing my best to ignore Justin's stares. Scooter tells me that they've both been great. He speaks for Justin, obviously because Justin hasn't been doing well ... Alfredo's still my close friend, so he's been keeping me updated. Anyway, after we talk about some general topics, Scooter starts talking about my role on the Believe tour. He's only interrupted when we order our food, and even then he'll be talking as the waiter takes our orders.

"So we want you to be one of the key roles on the tour," Scooter tells me, putting emphasis on the phrase "key role". Yeah way to take the pressure off, Scooter.

"What do you mean? What exactly will I be doing?" I question, taking a long sip of water as I wait for one of them to answer.

"You'll be helping with the clothes, mainly," Justin pipes up, after being quiet for a long time. "You'll also be helping Dan and I with the acoustic sets and making sure that our cherry-picker works for when I go up to the higher levels."

I process this information and, slowly, I nod my head.

"Sounds great," I smile, while Scooter nods his head and Justin does a small smile. Our table goes silent for a bit, Justin and I sitting awkwardly while Scooter types something to someone on his phone. A moment after he's done, his phone rings and Scooter then excuses himself to take the call ... leaving Justin and I.

After a moment or two of silence, Justin speaks.

"It's been a while, eh?" he asks. I'm confused but I definitely giggle at his use of the term "eh".

"What do you mean?"

"Well it's been awhile since we've been alone like this," he says to me, his gaze falling to the table. I mumble out a phrase that agrees with his thought, awkwardly stirring my straw around in my drink.

"How's Selena? I heard you guys are back together."

Justin shrugs as he looks up at me. "We're good I guess. She's really just using me for publicity but it's better than being alone."

I feel pain in my heart as I see the hurt and sadness in his eyes.

"Payton?"

"Yeah Justin?"

"I'm sorry," he apologizes, and I sigh.

"I'm sorry too."

"Why are you apologizing?" he chuckles. That's when I notice the lovely little twinkle in his eye.

I laugh and rest my chin on my palm.

"I'm apologizing because I hurt you just as much as you hurt me."

We go silent and then finally Scooter returns. As soon as he sits back down, we start eating and enjoy this lovely dinner.

***

It was the next morning and I had just arrived at Justin's house. It was a hot day and I was told that the crew would be hanging out here today, so Justin invited me over. We're working on our friendship, so I think this is a good start.

"Payton!" Justin smiles when he opens the door. He invites me in and then gives me a hug before closing the front door. "Everyone's in the backyard. If you wanna wait a minute, I'll be going back out there after I get Alfredo a drink," says Justin to me and I nod my head, following him into the kitchen.

"Do you want anything?" Justin asks and I shake my head, looking around the large kitchen as Justin stops at the fridge to get a couple drinks.

"Your house is gorgeous by the way," I smile and Justin smiles at me.

"Thanks! My mom helped me pick it, she wanted me to get a nice house," he explains to me and I nod my head as I look around ... Pattie has really good taste. Anyway, Justin and I continue our walk out to the backyard.

"Payton!" Alfredo and Quincy exclaim as Justin and I step into the backyard. They run over and envelop me in this huge hug. I laugh and hug them back. I love these two boys so much, their almost like family to me.

"How are you guys? It's been so long!"

"We've been great, but you look a little warm. Maybe you should go for a swim," Quincy smirks and then picks me up in his arms ... before dropping me in the pool.

When I resurface, I give Quincy the death stare.

"You're so dead!" I yell and Justin helps me out, giving me a towel once I'm on land.

"Did they get your phone wet?" he asks and I shake my head.

"I didn't bring it ... I knew that was a good idea," I smirk, drying myself off. Justin laughs and helps me dry off, but then goes and talks to some of the pretty girls that had just been lying in the sun ... they're a lot prettier than me.  Great, just great. Anyway, I peel off my wet shirt and shorts, internally thanking myself for putting on my bikini underneath. I placed them over the top of a chair and walked over to Alfredo, who was sitting by the pool, sipping his Coca-Cola and scrolling through something on his phone. 

"Hey Fredo," I sing-song as I sit down next to him. He laughs and puts down his phone on his opposite side.

"Hey kid," he says. I hate that nickname. Why does he have to call me kid? "I thought you were hanging with Justin?" Alfredo questions and I shrug, also nodding my head in Justin's direction.

"He's talking with those girls over there. You know, the pretty ones who seem kind of boring."

Alfredo sighs and gets up. He puts his arm out to me and then helps me up when I grab on. He picks up his phone and then looks over at Justin, then he looks at me ... and he continues that until I make him stop and explain.

"He told me yesterday that he really misses you. He's still so mad at himself for letting you go. I don't think he's changed his mind about that, Justin just doesn't want others to know."

I sigh and sit back down on the edge of the pool, my feet just touching the clear blue water. "Scooter told me yesterday that Justin wanted to collaborate on a song with me, but I'm not sure if that was true or not."

"It probably is. You could ask him yourself," Alfredo says and then nods before walking away. Confused, I turn and see Justin walking over. Soon enough, Justin's sitting right next to me by the pool.

"I'm  sorry for ditching you, those girls are just friends of Selena's. They aren't the nicest but when they're happy Selena's happy. Gotta do what I can," he explains and I reassure him that everything's ok.

"Um can I ask you something?"

"Yeah sure, ask away."

"Scooter told me yesterday that you wanted to collaborate with me, is that true?"

Justin's face is expressionless as he thinks over what to say. "Yeah. Yeah it is."

"Why?"

"I want to because you're really talented. You deserve so much more than to just be known as Taylor Swift's little sister!" Justin explains, getting a bit too loud towards the end of his thought.

"Justin, calm down. I'm not exactly interested in becoming famous like you and Taylor, but I'd love to collaborate with you. You know how much I love music," I smile, using my elbow to nudge Justin's arm.

"Do you wanna go to the studio now?"

I think for a second and then nod my head. "I'd love to, but my clothes are still drying."

"I think I still have some of your clothes that you left at the old house. Come with me and we can check," he smiles and we both get up. I follow him into the house and as I do, Selena's friends give me a look. I think it was the same death stare that I gave Quincy after he dropped me into the pool. 

I think that these girls may hate me, but that's ok. I'm used to it.

---

Whooooa dere, we're at Chapter 31 ???? time flies.
but yeah thank you guys so much! there's gonna be double chapters of this tomorrow, chapter 34 on monday & then the epilogue on tuesday so that i can then enter it in the Wattys! i'm so excited <33

anyway i hope y'all love this chapter! i feel like it's decent, but that's up to you to decide tbh.

i love you so much!!

QUESTION: are you guys glad that Justin & Payton are friends again? i've closed up that part of the story, so now all of you jayton shippers have a bit of closure. 

before the next chapter ---> 200 reads, 30 votes, 10 comments
find me on;

instagram:  @ayosophia
twitter: @ayobiebah
kik: @ayosophia