chapter fifteen

It had been two hours since Talia had landed. An hour and a half since Winnie had picked her up from the airport. An hour since she'd entered the flat.

An hour three very different girls had spent staring at each other.

It's the first time Winnie's been back to the apartment since the fight, and it shows. She's fidgeting, her hair is wild and tangled, her tie dye shirt and gray sweatpants are rumpled and stained, and she's so damn uncomfortable around you and it makes  you want to cry.

"Winnie," Talia finally says, "I'd like you to head over to Tatem's please. I'll talk to you a little later, okay honey?"

Winnie nods, and races out the door. Winnie's never been one for confrontation, but you didn't think it would cut you this deep. Because the confrontation she fears?

That's all because of you.

And now to the other person in the room, seated at the table, who wears a pensive look on her face. Today, she's pretty and put together, so far away from the girl in ripped jeans and band t-shirts you remember existing in high school.

Talia Prince is nobody's bitch. You've heard about her breakup with Arsen through gossip magazines, but she hasn't let that slow her down or hold her back. She's one of the most famous women in the world. She's a breakout star on Broadway, she's starred in a recent movie, she's been cast in a new TV show, and she's the name on the world's lips.

And now, the most powerful person you know is glaring at you, practically seething.

Five, four, three, two, one...

"What the hell were you thinking?"

"Talia-"

"This is Winnie, Mel! Winifred Ruthie Seaford, possibly the most insecure girl in the world! You destroyed her confidence, you ruined your own relationship-"

"Talia-"

"I mean, you know her better than anyone! You know the hell she's been put through her whole fucking life! I mean, her parents? Courtney? Hell, even Arsen! They've made her feel completely fucking worthless and whatever you two have been doing the last couple of months is only confirming those fears in her mind!"

"Talia-"

"And she's already got enough going on with the Leviathans, her parents, and that fucking boyfriend of hers-"

"Talia-"

"She doesn't need all this shit from her best fucking friend on top of that!"

"Talia!"

The most powerful woman you know exhales, resigned.

"I just- I can't believe that you of all people would do this to her."

"What's going on with Winnie?"

She knows what you mean. How could she not?

"You know how bad the Leviathans get. With the court date coming up, they've been even worse than usual. Her parents are still upset they weren't invited to Kam's wedding, so they're taking that out on her, and Dean-"

"What is that asshat doing to her?"

"Melanie."

"Talia."

"I need to go talk to Winnie."

"Talia-"