chapter ten

Winnie doesn't come home for a good three and a half weeks. When she does come home, you're both a mess.

You hear Lambeau first, his tiny whimpers only slightly muffled by the door.

It flies open, and there stands a slightly disheveled Winnie in a red Stanford sweatshirt. That you recognize. Because it belongs to Tatem.

"Winnie-"

"I'm going to my room." And usually you'd let it go. You'd let her hide away until she's comfortable to face the issue. In reality, you two would never discuss it. You, Winnie, and communication mix about as well as cheese, pickles, and marshmallows.

"No." It's a firm statement. You grab her arm and she yanks it away, turning to face you with her arms across her chest. "We're going to talk."

"What's there to talk about?" She laughs, but it's not the sweet, wind chime giggling you've grown accustomed to. It's hollow, and grating, and bitter, and it hurts. "You seem to think I was bothered by what you said. Obviously not, right? Because I'm always-okay-Winnie." And this sends a cold chill down your spine because how does she know about that conversation?

It was at the new vegan restaurant downtown Sera wanted to try, only a day after you and Winnie had fought. You and Serena had talked through things and worked out that moving in with each other now would end badly. Then Winnie had come up.

"Has she turned up yet?" Not really wanting to talk about this, you rolled your eyes.

"Oh my God. I can't fucking believe we're bring her up again." Serena looks surprised.

"She is your best friend."

"Yes, and as her best friend, I recognize that she's being an overdramatic bitch. Besides, she's Winnie. She's always okay, and you can never take her too seriously."

"Mel, maybe you should tone it down a little." Red's eyes are wide as your voice grows louder with every word.

But you are fucking livid.

"No, you know what, I'm sick of her. I'm sick of her always playing the victim and being so difficult. She always has to have things her way and she gets upset if I try to be myself and she's always so critical of me! And oh my lord, she's such a fucking prude. I am done being the one to fix things. It's her turn to grow up and get over herself."

Now, looking back, you remember a couple who looked oddly similar to Tate and Winnie, but had just waved it off.

Now you know.

Winnie sees the flash of recognition in your eyes. "It's time I grew up and got over myself."

The door slams in your face. You sit, blinking and dazed, in shock.

_______________________

Winnie is in charge of the guest list for Kam's wedding. Kam wants a small wedding, and has given Winnie the freedom to invite whoever she wants besides her own family and Marco's family.

She's invited her brother and sister. Liane and her husband had requested to bring her stepdaughters and their friends, and Winnie had immediately made sleeping arrangements so Liane and whoever she was married to could have privacy in their hotel room.