chapter eleven

You've been jealous of Winnie's nonexistent hangovers since she first got drunk in Paris. She was so very drunk last night, drunker than you, and you're the only one whose head is pounding. Winnie had patiently explained that her family had a history of hitting the bottle hard, winning drinking competitions in cramped and dirty Wisconsin bars with practically no consequences, and that she had a glass of water after every half glass of alcohol.

When you wake up, she's already made her famous chocolate strawberry pancakes for Violet and Caroline, and tea with cream and honey in it for herself. She's changed into her pair of mom jeans and an oversized Garbage t-shirt. She's barefoot and dancing around the kitchen, her ShowerMate stuck to the fridge again. She stops when she notices you in the doorway.

"Fix me up with six cups of coffee and we're good to go." You yawn, stretching your arms and then wincing. "Ouch. My head hurts."

"You had a lot to drink last night, Melly. Coffee's only gonna dehydrate you and make you feel worse. Here, take this." She hands you a cup of water and a couple aspirin, which you accept gratefully.

"So when do we get rid of the kids?" You say playfully, slurping your water. Ugh, why are you so fucking nauseous?

"Melly!" She swats your arm, a flash of mischief you haven't seen in a while making a reappearance. Which reminds you, when everyone leaves today, the two of you need to have a long discussion about what's been going on in your friendship lately, because you're almost positive it was in jeopardy less than 12 hours ago, but now it seems fine, even though you know that she can't be completely okay after all you said.

Winnie decides to take them to Minnie's for lunch. Diner food is good food, of course, and the two teens immediately order a second portion. Winnie looks especially proud of herself for introducing them to what they refer to as 'the best restaurant in like, the entire world'.

Later, everyone meets at your flat, and though you have to move the living room furniture around so everyone can sit together, the smile on Winnie's face makes it worth it.

"Let's play board games! You guys," she gestures to the six friends and the rest of the dream team, "versus all of us." This time she gestures to you, Link, Joey, Tate, and the newlyweds.

"Aunt Winnie, really?" Caroline groans, shoving her face into her hands. Peyton looks faintly amused by her friend's response.

"Yes."

Board games. Winnie's one true love.

_______________________________

Once everyone has left, the dream team for the airport and the teens for California in their car, the inevitable has come. You and Winnie have to communicate. Like actual human beings. Like best friends are supposed to.

"Winnie, I think we should-" The girl holds up a hand. She's sitting crosslegged on the couch, on her phone. She's talking to someone.

"I would love to! When?" A deep chuckle echoes through your empty apartment. Dean?

"That sounds... great. I'll see you then. I'll text you my address so you know where you're going and don't just mindlessly amble around the city for a few hours." Another laugh. Winnie giggles nervously, brushing her hair out of her face.