Fearful (Bran Stark x fem!Targaryen reader)

You should have known better. You knew you should have been more careful, but you were still practically a child. A Targaryen child in Westeros nonetheless. Your platinum blonde locks were colored with berries to hide them from the world, just as your mother's had been. Those in Westeros were not fond of the Targaryens because of Aegon, your distant relative. Your mother had run with you when Lord Stark had been executed. Your mother was ill and she instructed you to run beyond the Wall before she died. And run you did. You managed to stay hidden for weeks, until you met him.

Bran Stark. The crippled son of Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell. You'd run into his little group quite by accident. The girl with them immediately held you back at spear point. You held your hands up in surrender. "I have no weapon," you said softly. Your violet eyes scanning the most friendly face in the crowd. "What are you doing out here?" the boy in the wheelbarrow asked. You shyly explained the situation, leaving out the reason why you ran. Who knew what the boy would do if he were to discover who you were?

*time skip*

Months...months of traveling with the fear that Bran would discover your secret. You managed to always find enough berries to cover your long locks, but you were running out of them and had no idea what you were going to do. Berries were scarce beyond the Wall and growing scarcer as winter drew near. You bit your lip as you sat gazing into the fire.

"What are you thinking about, Y/N?" Bran asked you. You tore your eyes from the flames to meet his dark ones. You smiled at the boy you'd grown to love. He was kind and compassionate in ways most young men his age were not. He also had wisdom far beyond his years. As you looked into those kind eyes, you wanted nothing more than to tell him who you were, but instead you replied, "Nothing of importance. Do you have any idea how far until we find the Three-Eyed Raven?"

Bran gave you a look and you could tell he knew you were trying to change the subject. "I do not know. Jojen is not certain either." You nodded and gave him another smile before stifling a yawn. Bran chuckled at you. "You should get some sleep, Y/N." You agreed and settled down to sleep near the fire. You felt safe with Meera and Hodor keeping watch. You expected to sleep soundly until it was your turn to keep watch. What you did not expect was the rain.

It was nearly dawn when the rains started. You heard yawning behind you and you turned to see Bran stretching his arms above his head. "Good morrow, Bran," you greeted with a smile. Bran opened his eyes and his mouth to return the greeting, but stopped short when he saw you. Your brows furrowed in confusion and you ran your fingers through your hair. When you pulled your hand back, it was stained with berry juice.

Your eyes went wide with fear. "Y/N?" Your feet moved on their own as you got up and ran for the trees, ignoring Bran's cries of your name. You ran until you found a river where you could wash the rest of the berry juice from your hair. There was no point in it anymore. You began to cry as your hands and the river turned a deep red color. "Y/N?" You whipped your head around to find Hodor pulling Bran's wheelbarrow behind him.

"Thank you Hodor. Go back to Jojen and Meera. I want to talk to Y/N alone," Bran ordered with an authority in his voice that you weren't used to. Hodor did as he was bid and Bran turned his gaze back to you. He took in your now clean hair before he spoke. "You lied to me," he said. You shook your head. "I did not lie, I simply covered the color of my hair. For good reason. My family is not well liked in Westeros."

"You are Targaryen then?" he asked and sighed when you nodded. "Why didn't you tell me? Why lie?" You looked at him pointedly. "I just told you. I'm a Targaryen! Westerosi people do not care for us. My mother ran to protected us and used the berries to hide our hair. I did not tell you because I was afraid," you admitted. Bran motioned for you to come closer. When you were close enough, he took your hand in his. "You do not need to be afraid of me. Or Jojen or Meera. We like you for the person you are, not for your family name. I mean, you do not like me for my family name, do you?" You shook your head, feeling the tears prick your eyes once again.

Bran gave your hand a reassuring squeeze. "Good, now should we go back to camp? Meera is worried about you." You laughed slightly and dried your tears. You gazed down at your first love before leaning in and gently kissing his cold cheek. You knew that there was no reason to be afraid, not as long as Bran accepted you.