Chapter 14 - Red to Call Enchantment Down

The room shimmered abruptly as Jace left, leaving Clary standing in the main room across from Sebastian. Her breath was trembling as she thought about the look on Jace's face, the look of betrayal. As if in saying one name, she had destroyed him. She expected Sebastian to be happy, Jace had gone off obediently to continue their plans, but he looked far from happy. His gaze was still directed toward the portal door that Jace had disappeared through, and he was scowling. As if in a second he remembered Clary was there, he composed himself and clapped his hands together.

"Right then, we should prepare as well. You said you wanted to prove yourself, and you have," He walked closer towards her and wrapped his hands around the outsides of her shoulders, "Come with me, I have something for you."

They arrived in Sebastian's room and she noticed immediately that it was spotless, much unlike the other times she had seen it. The only clothes strewn about were two piles of what looked like Shadowhunter gear folded on the bed. The only difference was it was dark crimson, the color of blood.

And red to call enchantment down.

She remembered the line from the old Shadowhunters rhyme. Sebastian made his way over and picked up one of the piles, bringing them over to her. She noticed that while it was leather fighting gear, rather than a normal gear jacket, there was something else. Something more intricate. He placed the pile in her outstretched arms.

"This is what we will wear tonight. Yours is slightly different than Jace's and I's. You are very important tonight. I want you to feel important, Clarissa." He stroked his finger up and down her side, his eyes half-lidded as he gazed at her. "Be ready soon, I will come get you when we're ready to depart."

Clary! Clary, I need to talk to you! Clary could hear Simon's voice in her mind and struggled to focus on one thing. Sebastian's head cocked to the side as if noting her distraction. Clary, please answer me.

"I will be ready soon!" She rushed the words out and hurried out the door, heading into her own room and throwing the clothes on the bed.

Simon I'm here, I'm here. What is it? She thought frantically hoping he was still listening.

Thank the angel, Clary, where are you?

I'm not sure, I'm still in the apartment so I have no way of knowing, why? She never knew how to answer that question considering the apartment was in another dimension.

Okay, so you're still in the apartment. Is Jace there too? We have a weapon- His tone had softened slightly, no longer panicked.

No, he's at the site preparing- Simon, what weapon? She could tell she sounded confused but she was and couldn't hide it.

The site? What site? What is he preparing for? For the love of- Clary what is going on there?! His voice in her head was rising again, returning to its previously frantic state.

The Seventh Sacred- She cut off abruptly, not wanting to give too much away if she hadn't already. No, never mind. Simon you guys can't come tonight, you can't-

What? Clary, where are you going to be?

I'm sorry Simon, I can't tell you. I can't risk this being stopped. She felt sadness tear away at her as she was keeping things from her best friend. But after everything, this couldn't be stopped. Sebastian had said it had to happen tonight.

Clary, what's happened to you? His voice was full of despair, and she immediately turned her thoughts away from him. She had already been told once tonight that she was like a different person and she couldn't stand hearing it again.