Chapter 7 - Dancing with the Devil

The sun was low in the sky, but still providing enough sunlight for it to be considered day, glasses and bottles were strewn across tables and music was playing over the speakers. Clary had thrown off her shoes and her white dress was hanging off her shoulder as she ran around the deck from Jace, holding his phone hostage.

"Oh Fray, you really think you can out run me?" His shirt was completely unbuttoned as he chased her around the deck, grabbing her and throwing her over his shoulder. She shrieked and laughed, feeling dizzy from the spirits and being lifted up. Sebastian was sitting on the couch with a glass of wine, smiling and watching. It was obvious he had become more accustomed to drinking seeing that he was not acting like a fool right now, besides the fact that he had taken his shirt off to clean the spilled mess they made on the table. Jace plopped Clary down on the couch next to Sebastian and grabbed one of the glasses on the table, "I'm going to get some water and see if they have any food," Clary was lying on the couch, her eyes nearly closed as she was giggling, "I'll bring the drunk one a bottle of water too." And with that, he walked into the cabin and disappeared.

Clary sat up quickly and grabbed the wine glass out of Sebastian's hand, his eyes widening in surprise. "Hey now, I don't think someone in your state would fully appreciate a wine of that caliber." She pursed her lips defiantly and took a big gulp. An emotion crossed his face, one of irritation that quickly melded into amusement. "Well alright then, I'd offer you a glass, but I think I may have to cut you off." He stood up and walked over to her. With a grin, he grabbed the wine glass out of her hand and wrapped his other hand around her waist. "Care to dance, sister?"

Before she could protest, he set the glass down and spun her around, pulling her into the middle of the boat. A laugh escaped her as she spun back to him. One hand was wrapped in hers with the other around her waist. He was holding her close to him and was laughing with her and, for the first time, he seemed to be genuinely happy. The sun was now setting, emblazoning everything around them in an orange glow. His black eyes had almost a silver sheen to them when he was spinning her around and smiling. When she was out at arm's length, he twisted her so her back came against his chest and he held his arms over hers, whispering in her ear.

"You know you really aren't that bad of a dancer. Or I'm sure you wouldn't be if you weren't drunk." His voice resonated teasingly and then he was spinning her back out, pulling her closer to him as they danced. Her head was still spinning, whether it was from the alcohol or the feeling that something was wrong she didn't know. Her body was rejecting Sebastian's touch, but her mind kept telling her it was right. Her mind continued racing until he brushed her hair off her neck and planted a kiss on her collarbone and, regardless of what her mind told her, her body reeled back, tripping over itself. His eyes shot open and flashed with hurt until she made her way back to him, grabbing his hand and guiding the other one back to her waist. His eyes shone with the glint of realization, although she wasn't sure of what. "That's what I thought." He growled in her ear and twirled her around again until there was a tap on his shoulder.

"Mind if I cut in?" Jace was standing behind him with a smile. Sebastian glared at him for a moment before stepping back, releasing her as well as the grip of fear that clenched her stomach.

"Of course not, I've had my fun for now." And with a final glance at her, he turned and made his way to pour another glass of wine.

Jace had resumed their dancing, but while Sebastian seemed controlling and routine, Jace danced with carefree grace. Her smile returned as well as the feeling of familiarity. He spun her again and again, kissing her cheek as she went around. His hands held her tightly to his body as they swayed around the deck to the sweet music.

"I've been told I am an excellent dancer, you are lucky to even be in the presence of a shining star such as myself." His words were arrogant, but he had the light tone he had whenever he was sarcastic, which was often.

"I sure am lucky, maybe I can even get your autograph!" She countered back, her voice dripping in sarcasm. His head tilted back as he laughed, the genuine unguarded laugh that she loved hearing. It was rare, but it came to become one of her favorite sounds.

"Oh, I can think of some better things I could give you." He whispered as he brushed her hair out of her face so he could look at her more intently. She would have almost felt completely blissful if she didn't have the uneasy feeling that someone was watching them. Sure enough, she looked over Jace's shoulder and saw Sebastian sitting with his wine glass, eyes on her the entire time.

***

Opening her eyes, Clary could see the stars high in the sky, the light blue of an approaching dawn. She was lying on the daybed with Jace's button down on. Her head was resting on Jace's chest and she could hear his slow heartbeat, echoing her own as it always did. She gazed up at his sleeping face, golden strands of hair lightly brushing his eyes. Her hand was lying atop his on his chest, their fingers slightly intertwined. After she blinked the drowsiness from her eyes, she became more aware of her surroundings, including the warmth that was pressed on her back. Her stomach dropped when she realized that Sebastian was lying close behind her, one arm resting above his head, the other draped across her waist. She could feel his warm breath on her neck as he slept. She closed her eyes again and tried to remember how they got here, but nothing surfaced in her mind. The last thing she remembered was dancing with Jace, spinning and spinning and then her memory was nothing but a blur. As odd as it was that she had come to be in this position, her body couldn't deny how comfortable it was and she inadvertently dozed back to sleep.

***

The sun was on the brink of the earth when Jace opened his eyes, rising above the waterline and bringing light and warmth. He didn't need this light and warmth though, he could feel Clary's head on his chest and her fingers lightly grasping his and that was all that he needed. He looked around and noticed that their boat was back at the dock, no longer floating around the Caribbean. Although he wasn't really tired anymore, he didn't want to get up. For one, he knew he would most likely have an awful headache when he sat up, but he really didn't want to wake up Clary. His rough fingers pulled carefully through her curls, a small smile breaking across his face when she squirmed to get closer to him, burrowing into his chest. Only then did he see behind her, Sebastian's white hair and sharp face so close behind her, his lips nearly resting on the nape of her neck. A surge of jealousy ran through him, but he didn't dare do anything against him. He was his brother, they were bonded, and he wanted what Sebastian wanted. Even if it was Clary. A small part of his mind screamed at him, that this was wrong, but the rest of him ignored it. He absentmindedly planted a sweet kiss on her forehead, causing her to stir and her eyes to flutter open, revealing their bright green. The slight movement must have woken up Sebastian as well, who groaned groggily and rolled onto his back, earning a sigh of relief from Jace.

"Well good morning there," Jace teased her exhausted and pained look. "Someone looks hungover." She groaned and put her face into her hands, making him laugh.

"I feel awful and I haven't even gotten up yet." She whined and pouted, not daring to make more than small movements. Jace felt a little guilty for prodding her and wrapped his arms around her, enveloping her in warmth and darkness.

"Well, you were the one who was supposed to get her water and food. So I'd say this," Sebastian made a gesture over her body with his hand, eyes still closed, "is your fault, brother." He sounded irritated that they were talking, indicating that he may not feel all that great himself.

"Need I remind us who brought out the alcohol in the first place? Not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy that horrible decision," he shrugged his shoulders, "I myself do enjoy a bad decision time to time." Another groan escaped Clary's lips and Jace jumped up with a sigh. "I know you are going to hate me for this, Fray, but let's go get you some food and water. Sebastian, I'm going to take her back." He offered his hand out to Clary and when she didn't move to take it, he bent down and wrapped his arms around her waist to lift her.

Sebastian groaned and waved them away with his hands, indicating that he'd go back later. He had no intention of getting up at the moment. So in a flash, Clary and Jace were back in the apartment.