XXXIV

"Hey, wake up."

  "My queen, wake up."

  "Come on, you need to wake up."

  "Wake up!"

  "You've been sleeping over twelve hours."

  "My queen..."

  I feel someone gently kiss my forehead and my eyes flutter open.

  I smile softly. "River."

  "Hey, beautiful." He gazes at me with deep admiration. "Sleep well?"

"Yep."

River sighs, nodding. "Good, I need you for something right now."

"Oh, okay." I sit up. "Let me just change."

"I picked out your clothes for you to make it easier...if that's okay." River gives me a nervous smile and I cup his face.

"You are the best husband in the world. Thank you, River." I kiss his lips softly and he closes his eyes, savoring the moment. He pulls back and caresses my cheek.

"I'll be waiting for you outside your door, okay?"

I nod, smiling. "Okay."

River pecks my lips and leaves. I stand there, staring at the door.

I don't want to leave him.

•••

"Here's your breakfast." River hands me a tray with pancakes, bacon, and apple juice. "You can bring it with you to the lab."

"Why do you want me in the lab?" I ask him, nibbling on the bacon.

He glances at me as we walk, his hand on my back. "Because you need to take a blood test. If we're gonna find out how to stop this, we have to figure out what this is exactly."

I nod in agreement. I hadn't done that before because I didn't want to risk anyone finding out about my illness. But now that everyone knew, I guess it'd help fix me.

We arrive at the lab and River directs me to a chair with the blood test equipment beside me on a table.

"I'll be back. Let me just call someone to do the blood test."

"Wait." I pull his sleeve and he turns back to me. "I want some in specific to do the test. Someone I trust."

  He nods. "Okay. Who?"

  "Wilbur. He's been researching the illness day and night. I trust him with my life, River. And I want someone I can rely on to help me."

  "If you trust him, I trust him too. I'll go find him for you." River squeezes my hand reassuringly before leaving to find Wilbur. I lay back on the seat and close my eyes.

  Everything will be alright. I chant inside my head.

  But it's no use. I'm still afraid... Now that they know, it seems more real. No. It is more real.

  I might die.

  I might lose everyone.

  Everyone might lose me.