XII

I looked up from my book at the sound of a knock. It was early in the morning and I wasn't expecting anyone.

"Who is it?" I called out, placing the book on my bedside table.

"Marilyn Monroe, darling."

I rolled my eyes, smiling. "Hi, Sam."

"Hello from the other side!" she belted out and I laughed.

"Come in already."

"Hey, patience is key, BA, " Sam said as she walked in, pointing at me.

"Says you, " Drake muttered under his breath, casually following after Sam.

Cody sauntered in, sighing. "I wish I was as thin as my patience."

Sam and Drake began talking about video games, something they both adored. While Cody and I sat on my bed, watching TV.

"Hey, wait. Isn't today the day you–"

"Assassinate my brother's murderer? Yes, " Cody nodded.

"You're excited about that?" I asked him and he smiled sadly, looking down.

"My brother didn't deserve to die. He was innocent, more innocent than I'll ever be, and he had a kind heart, " Cody met my eyes, his gaze intense. "This isn't just about revenge, Blair. This is about giving my little brother life again and doing right by him. It's for Brice's soul."

I gave him a soft, supportive smile and gently squeezed his hand. Even if I didn't agree with Cody, this was his way to cope with the death of his little brother. And honestly, if it were me in the situation, I most likely would've done the exact same thing.

The door suddenly opened, revealing River. I felt my throat constrict at the sight of him.

"Hey, " he paused as he looked around. "Assassins."

"Leader, " they bowed their heads in respect. I was going to join them, but River's eyes warned me not to.

He cleared his throat, averting his gaze from me. "Assassins, are you prepared for your mission?"

"Yes, Leader, " they responded while Cody simultaneously whispered: "Heck, yes."

"Wait, am I going too?"

"No, Bla–" River glanced at them. "Assassin Blair. My father has exempted you from this mission."

"Right, " I murmured, slightly disappointed. I hadn't gone on a mission at all and I wanted to know what it was like. Was it gory? Or did they simply shoot the victims in the head for a quick death?

"The three of you, go put on your suits and meet your commanding assassin at your station, " River ordered and they scurried out of my room without a second thought.

Sam winked at me as she closed the door. Fortunately, River's eyes were trained on me and he didn't notice her. But, I began to squirm nervously under his intense gaze.

"So..." I trailed off, trying to break the uncomfortable silence between us.

"Your parents keep calling your line. I suggest you call them back to reassure them that you're okay."

I gulped, biting my lip. "Is that an order?"

"No, " River smiled slightly at that before sitting beside me on my bed. His eyes were soft and caring for a change. "Look, Blair. I understand that you might be scared, right? Guilty, maybe?"

I nodded sheepishly, looking down at my bedsheets.

He put his hand on mine and gave me a warm smile. "Don't be, Blair. You joined us to save your family. Stop beating yourself up for it because you did the right thing. Call them and tell them about your new friends. Try to make not only them, but yourself happy. Alright?"

"Yeah. Okay, " I sighed. River was right. I couldn't ignore my family forever and the longer I waited, the more I was hurting myself.

"Here, " River handed me his phone. I slowly dialed my mom's number and glanced at him. He nodded encouragingly as I listened to the phone ring.

My stomach dropped when the sound stopped and a familiar voice followed after it.

"Hello?"

I took a sharp intake of breath. "Hi, mom."

"Blair? Oh, how are you? Where are you calling me from? Is everything alright there?" my mom asked, concerned.

"I'm okay, mom. Everything's great, " I looked at River. "Uh, I'm actually calling from my friend's phone."

"You've made some friends? That's good! I'm so happy for you, " she exclaimed, which made me smile.

"Do you want me to leave?" River whispered, but I shook my head.

"So, mom, how's everything at home?"

"We're all good here. We miss you, of course."

"I miss you guys too. I'm sorry I didn't call before. Schoolwork, you know, " I lied.

She seemed to believe me. "I understand. You're like your father."

"How so?"

"Well, he was very hardworking. But sometimes, he'd bury himself into his work a little too deep. When we met, though, he changed. He'd limit his working hours and he would make some time for us. That's how your father won my heart, " my mom told me, I could almost feel her smiling.

"Because he was always the best he could possibly be for you?" I questioned, which caught River's attention.

"Yes. When a man changes for you, Blair, to be the best version of himself...that's when you know he loves you."

"Yeah, " I whispered. Reluctantly, I asked her: "How's Erik?"

"Um, he's okay. A bit quiet since you left. But okay, nevertheless."

I took a deep, shaky breath. "Is he there? Do–do you think I could speak with him?"

"He's up in his room. I'll ask, " my mom said and I nodded, even though she couldn't see me. There were some shuffling and faint voices before I heard her voice again. "Blair, are you still there?"

"I'm here, " I murmured, almost breathlessly.

"I'm going to pass it over to Erik now, okay?"

"Okay!" I nodded vigorously. I could barely contain myself.

The sound of a door closing and the voice that followed almost broke my heart. "Hey, Blair."

"Erik. Wow, I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you, too. More than you know, " he replied quietly. "So, how's school?"

"Good. Lots of work, but nothing I can't handle."

Erik hesitated. "Make any friends yet?"

"Yes, actually. Samantha, Cody, Drake, and Ri–" I stopped myself before I made a huge mistake. Erik knew about my crush. "And, yeah..."

"What were you going to say?" he questioned, which caused me to gulp.

I quickly thought of an answer. "Well, I said Drake and I was about to say Rihanna. It's...an inside joke we have."

"Oh, " Erik muttered.

Awkward silence flowed through the air between us. Sighing, I said: "Well, if all's good..."

"It is. I hope we can talk again sometime?"

"Of course, " I whispered, looking down at the floor. If he were with me right now, he would've noticed by my expression how guilty I felt.

"Alright. Bye, Blair. I love you, " Erik quickly hung up and I handed the phone over to River.

"Do you feel better?"

"Much, " I responded, faking a smile.

"Great, " River walked to the door, then stopped. "Oh, by the way, we have an organizational conference tomorrow after dinner."

I groaned and River chuckled as he left my room. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day.